307 SW HDI Flywheel problem

Just been told the dual mass flywheel is squeaking by the dealership and its usually a sign of the springs in it getting week and that the flywheel could go. The car has just done 72K and its a 2002 model. Its had the flywheel replaced by a peugeot dealership in the past when the original one exploded at 24K (2004). I've read in a couple of places that the flywheels themselves have a 5yr guarantee on them. Does anyone know anything about this and do I have a case for complaining to peugeot and get them to foot the bill (or part of it) for a replacement flywheel before it breaks (took the gear box casing and clutch last time it went!!). I really don't want to risk it going on me if possible and I do think that peugeot should provide parts that last longer than 3yrs.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
swebb99

Any one ?

Reply to
swebb99

My personal view is that flywheels should normally last pretty much indefinately. To have two go on the same vehicle must be extraordinarily unusual.

Whether you have a case or not is a legal question. I can't see that you have a case against Peugeot as you have no contract with them, although they may contemplate a goodwill payment.

Are you sure that the diagnosis is sound? I've never heard of squeaking flywheels. I might be inclined to seek a second opinion. I'd also ask on alt.rec.maintenance.

Reply to
Dave

Actually its a well known problem with 307s and the HDI engine. It has a dual mass flywheel and they give problems. I think other manufactures have had issues with them in the past.

There are actually quite a few people on the web who have posted issues with the flywheels on these cars. The springs start to get weak on them and the weights start moving around I think. The squeaking is usually the 1st sign that the flywheel is on the way out.

I've read several reports on the web of people who have had two or more of these things go on the same car. Even the garage said it was not an uncommon problem on the cars.

There seems to be some debate as to weather the flywheel has a 1, 3 or

5yr mechanical failure warranty. This is what I want to track down the details on. I think clutches have a 3yr mechanical (not wear and tear) warrantry so it strikes me the flywheel should be as much if not more.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

Reply to
swebb99

Peugeot have said they will cover the cost of the repair apart from the clutch :)

Reply to
swebb99