307sw 1.6hdi non starter

Hi, So eventually I have sorted the car out or at least thought i had. Major turbo rebuild and also changed the head gasket. Bit of a nightmare getting the turbo connected back up to the PIF. The car started but blew out of the connection really badly. I bought a new bracket and it has stopped the blowing. Connected all the pipes back up and now the car will fire up and run for 1 second then just stop. I turn the ignition again and it starts but stops straight away. The longest I have managed to get it to run is about 2 seconds. Now I am completly stuck and really don't know where to even start looking. I have checked and rechecked all the pipes, connections, tubes, everything and I can't find any breakage, hole, split or damage.

Why would the car be working fine before and now for some reason I can't even get it started. It is very frustating and I am dreading the trip to a peugeot garage to be asked what my repair budget is before they even start the diagnostics. So, I am wondering if anyone has had a non starter like this and there is anything I can try in a DIY capacity?

Cheers for the help.

Reply to
lenny109

UPDATE Took the car to a Peugeot Garage. Phone call tells me that the turbo needs replacing. I know it doesn't so thanks for that. They couldn't do anything else until the turbo was replaced becuase the car wouldn't start. I paid the thief for his two minutes, Oh sorry, I mean two hours work. £96 and towed the car home. I have taken the exhaust clamp off the turbo and the car starts straight away. Smoke obviously everywhere but at least it starts and seems to run OK.

So, is my Catalytic Converter blocked? When I tighten the clamp up no smoke comes out of the exhuast and the car stops. Undo the clamp so the fumes don't go down the cat system and the car starts. On my car the cat seems to have a bottom half (is that the Particulate Filter?)

Can I clean either or both of these so that the exhuast fumes run through or could this be another issue causing the fumes to not go through the system? Any help greatly appreciated as I don't want to buy a new cat until I know it will certainly cure the problem. Thanks.

Reply to
lenny109

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 19:24:56 +0100, "lenny109" wrote as underneath my scribble :

Thick smoke ie oil burning or thin smoke like the old non cat diesels which is what youd expect? Does sound as tho the cat is completely blocked, but im no expert, can you get volume air through the exhaust at all? did you ever get it hot enough to self clean before all the trouble? Have you/previous owner perhaps used mineral oil in the engine rather than synthetic based? I believe that will help kill the cat. You really need someone that knows their diesel onions - im only asking where I would look as if it were my problem! Dont know if you can heat a cat so hot that it burns some of the deposits, once you have a gas passage of sorts you could then run it say 70 in 4th for an hour to finish the clear. You might be able to get a used cat box from a breaker if you cant get your own one to breathe at all. C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Hi, Thanks for the reply Charlie+ Cat was blocked as was the Particulate Filter. Took the cat out and placed in a bowl of washing up liquid water over night. Sorted that out no problem. Took the Particulate filter out and spent 10 minutes cleaning it with a pressure washer. Put the lot back on and the car started straight away. Runs smooth now (except for a problem with an injector which I will post seperately).

Reply to
lenny109

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 20:33:30 +0100, "lenny109" wrote as underneath my scribble :

Well done for giving feedback, thank you, very useful, I wouldnt have instantly thaught of "washing" out the ehaust system!! good trick, Sounds like quite a bit of work but not too much expense for a fix!! You can get "catclean" on ebay which can help with getting emissions down if that is an MOT problem. Is the MIL engine light showing re your injector problem? C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Hi, No there are no errors relating to the injector problem. I have tightened it down as much as I dare now and there is still fumes coming from the injector area. It works ok to start with but as the engine heats up it gets worse and when it rev the engine a lot once the engine is warm there is a lot of fumes coming from the engine bay. I have posted a more informed discription as another item.

Reply to
lenny109

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:56:23 +0100, "lenny109" wrote as underneath my scribble :

Here is an interesting thread that might be helpful !! ?

us if you can!C+

Reply to
Charlie+