405

Hi i had a strange experience on my way to work this morning my car lost its aceleration, i was changing down a gear when i lost my revs the accelerator pedal went stiff and there was no revs althought the engine was still ticking over, i had to free wheel to side of road as no power but when i turned the engine off and started back up it drove fine any ideas please?

Many thanks

Lee

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

Diesel or Petrol?? could be just one of those things, keep a close eye on it and make note when it happens and what the weather is like.

Reply to
Chris

Hi its Petrol, and weather was fine this morning warmer than it has been for a while in the midlands.

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

So is it still doing it or is it o,k?

Reply to
Chris

no seemed fine on way home and ok this morning, could it have been a air bubble or something in the fuel? i have no clue about cars but know that it's not normal as never had that with any of my previous cars.

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

Could be , have you run the car low on fuel at any time?or was it low when this happened?

Reply to
Chris

If the accelerator pedal went stiff, then it sounds as if the cable connecting the pedal to the carb/injection pump (depending on the engine) was sticking. This isn't terribly common, but it might be worth inspecting the sheath that the cable runs through to check that it hasn't been wearing against something in the engine bay and has worn through to the inner. If everything looks ok, it may be worth putting a few drops of ordinary 3-in-1 oil down the cable between the inner and the sheath, or possibly buying and fitting a new one - they shouldn't be terribly expensive.

If you aren't sure which cable is the accelerator one, get someone to sit inside with the engine of and pump the accelerator up and down, so that you can see what moves!

Reply to
Albert T Cone

no had filled up the day before so was not low on petrol and the engine diagnostic light never came on either.

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

to be fair though if it was the above then the probelm would be constant would it not? and car has been driving fine before and ever since, if it happens again then i will go and see a mechanic but as the car seems fine now might as well leave it be as i have no clue about cars so would not be able to fit anything myself. i just wondered if it was a fuel issue etc

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

Could be a outer cover catching somewhere,or just lack of oil or care on cable.

Reply to
Chris

Who knows, car has been fine before and ever since, even with all the frosty mornings we have had so i guess what ever it was it was just a glitch, and hopefully will not happen again. I'm banking on the fact that if cable was fautly etc then it would happen again but as it has not fingers crossed that the car will not need any money spent on it for time being.

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com