405 Clutch Price

My 405 1.9 DT Esttate broke down at the weekend, miles from home - clutch cable appeared to snap. Breakdown service took me to a local garage who've quoted £500 + VAT to replace clutch, cable and the plastic connector between the pedal and the cable - this latter bit being the bit that actually broke but the garage convincing me that having a heavy clutch would have been the cause and that it was likely to break again unless the clutch was replaced. Checked the service history, never had a new clutch from new and cars done

135k so perhaps not unreasonable but how about the price ?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Davis

Hmmm ... this nylon bit breaks so often that the last time it happened the AA man was carrying a used spare. I'd just get it replaced, and maybe the cable as well, and carry on until the clutch showed signs of slipping or I couldn't get reverse. A new clutch in Cornwall 2 years ago was £235 all up book price at a Peugeot garage. You can nearly double that for London, but £600 inc vat seems a bit on the leaden side. Ring Warwick Wright and ask them for a price ... then find a cheaper alternative.

Peter Davis wrote:

Reply to
Wichita

Reply to
Nigel

My old 405 always seemed to have a heavy clutch compared to the 406 I've got now. The cable also used to be problematic and had been replaced by a tame mechanic friend who charged £15 for the job and same again for Pug sourced cable and connectors. As you've said, my instinct would be to carry on driving it and wait for it to start slipping before contemplating changing it. I think at £500 they're taking the p1ss out of a captive audience.

Reply to
Longshot