405 K reg rocker cover gasket

I have a serious oil leak from my rocker cover, I changed the gasket, and it's still leaking from the same place, how do you attach the gasket as it always falls out, when you turn it over to reattach, it just drops out, I have used some silicon in the corners just to hold it in. But it still seems very loose. Will a liquid gasket (ie: permatex) work better than the piece of rubber cr4p that I got from the local motor factors?

Reply to
ceemark

In the old days I used to use Hermatite (the red type) smeared along the gasket faces. It improved the seal and helped to keep the gasket in the rocker cover while fitting.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
ceemark

You say "instant gasket". Hermatite (the red variety) is a gasket sealant and should be used with the proper gasket. Unless you are referring to something different.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Try silicon sealer, thats good stuff. chris addlestone

Reply to
Chris

Never use Silicone sealer on rocker cover gaskets, a mate of mine used that on a diesel Astra Van and a piece must have got into the oil feed to the rockers and buggered the cam shaft up !!! use RED HERMETITE with a new gasket as the other guy told you, it's much better than any silicon instant Gasket

Regards John

Reply to
Johno

OR USE GREASE

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
ceemark

Yeah grease, you just use a few dabs of grease to hold the gasket in place while you turn the cover upside down and position it. If there's nothing seriously wrong with your head the gasket itself should act as a seal (always did for me, anyway).

Reply to
Wichita
5 days on and it looks like the Hermetite gasket is doing it's job, no leaks and no funny smells either, I can now use the heater and blower without being gassed! Clint
Reply to
ceemark