405 Key fob not working!! help

Just my luck to have something else go wrong with my L reg petrol saloon, the key fob has just packed up on me, problem is the alarm has an imobilser, so I can not get the car started without disarming the alarm. Its not the batteries as replaced them last month and the red light on the key fob is working? and ideas please? its a single button key fob. valeo, can i buy a replacement if so where from?

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

I had an L reg 405 and the key fob (plip) was Infra Red and appeared to be the same as my wife's present 306 except for having only one button. The key can lose its programming and, for the 306, can be reprogrammed as below, hopefully the same might work for the 405 omitting the second button in step

  1. Turn the Ignition switch to the accessory position using the key without the remote plip attached.

  1. Hold the Plip key close to the central locking receiver mounted in the roof console.

  1. Press the large plip button and then the small plip button on the remote.

  2. Repeat for second Plip key if required.

  1. Turn the ignition OFF.

  2. After 5 seconds the Plip should now operate.

I originally got this info from

. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Just came across this for the Xantia which came from the same stable:

  1. Ensure all doors are unlocked using the key.

  1. Press and hold plip key button until LED stops flashing.

  2. After releasing button, LED will light constantly.

  1. Press the Plip Button once, and LED will extinguish.

  2. Open the door and hold the Plip key near the Ignition switch, and press the plip button one time.

  1. Now turn the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds then turn ignition OFF.

  2. After 5 seconds, Plip should now operate.
Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

incase this does not work any ideas where i would buy a new one?

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

the key fob seems to work intermittently does this still mean that it needs re-programing? Keith Willcocks wrote:

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

On my wife's 306 and my old 405 there were two keys, one with the fob (plip) and one just a plain key. I take it you only have the one. You can obviously buy new keys from Pug dealers but I believe they often come up on eBay both new and used. You may be able to get a key cut more cheaply from a non Pug stockist.

I cannot guarantee that any of the fixes I posted will work but they are worth trying. Other than that, someone else on the group may have more accurate info.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Unfortunately, on the 405, the key cannot be programmed at all. And you can't use just any key. You need to buy one from a dealer and you need the code either from inside the key or inside the receiver in the roof. It is printed on a small piece of paper. You may also need the make (I think either Valeo or Neiman). With this the dealer can order one from France and it may take up to three weeks to come. If your key is the type that cannot be seperated from the plip then the new key will come like that and will need to be cut.

Reply to
Nigel

My experience with 405 keys is similar, the led on the key works okay but the key only intermittently operates the lock/immobiliser.

I fixed mine by taking it apart and resoldering the IR led and driver chip onto the PCB. During the life of the key, there is enough flex in the assembly to cause a dry joint which makes the key plip operate intermittently.

I've done the keys for two cars like this, same fault both time. Find an electronics engineer near you who can cope with SMD components and you'll be surprised how quick it is to fix!

Good luck Richard

Reply to
MacMan85

Thanks Nigel, that will at least save him trying unsuccessfully to reprogram the key. I was hoping my suggestions would help but I had a nasty suspicion that the 405 would be different.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

Does your 405 have a button on the side of the steering column to disable the alarm? If so you might be able to get round it. But again you really need two keys. Might be worth getting a plain copy made of the key by any locksmith, hardware store or motor supply place which also cuts keys. This you can then use in the lock to open the door.OK this will make the alarm sound I know. You then switch on the ignition switch whilst depressing the alarm button. This will cancel the alarm and allow you to start the engine. This must be done within 10 seconds of opening the door. This came from the Haynes manual for a '93 306, but I am sure it also worked for my '93 405. (Now gone to the big scrapyard in the sky). Hope it works for you.

Reply to
Brian

Apologies for changing your gender. I assume that Lee is a forename and, if so, I should be ashamed of myself, because my daughter's second name is Lee (my wife liked the actress Lee Remick). Post back and let us know how you get on.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

The sterring column button only disables the ultrasonic alarm inside the car. The only way to turn off the alarm is the keyswitch under the bonnet.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

lol no problem Keith on the gender change, its times like this i wish i was a man and the Lee is short version of my name which is to distinctive to use as a sign on name as its not a common name at all.

the chap who said about press>Apologies for changing your gender. I assume that Lee is a forename and,

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

Certainly on the 306, that button, if pressed when turning ON the ignition, will disable the immobiliser part of the alarm too. It has to be done in the correct way. I do not have the key for the switch under the bonnet on the 306, and so whenever I have to disconnect the battery, I have to go through the above process before I can start the engine, as the alarm resets when the battery is connected again. The key fob drains its batteries so quickly (known fault on these) that it isn't worth putting new batteries in just for this. However, it seems it doesn't work on the 405 in question.

Reply to
Brian

Sorry to hear of your problems here. I have a 405 saloon L reg, and think its the business. My fob button recently stopped working (button wore out), and so I took it apart, disarmed the car by shorting the pin terminals under the button, and just use the key without the alarm (I also got another successfully cut by a standard key smith). If you open and shut the doors just using the key, the alarm is not activated but central locking works..I will fix a new button to the fob eventually and reuse the alarm.

Mike.

Reply to
mike.millmansvs

Reply to