405 oil filler cap

Hi all,

Where is the oil filler cap. It's an 89 2.0 GLX model, I'm used to the filler being ontop of the rocker cover but it aint there.

I've found the dip stick and that shows a bit low, besides I would like to give it a service.

Please help (again)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Hmmm.. If that's an XU engine, it should be sticking up between the middle of the intake manifold? (at least, so long as it looks the same as the 1.9 XU engine). It might have been unbolted - it's worth taking a look under the intake manifold.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

hmmm that would be a major pain to get to, there's a carb in the way.

It might have been unbolted - it's worth taking a look under the

OK, all that room under the bonnet and everythings squashed together :(

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

its located where the oil dipstick goes in....remove the dipstick and unscrew the black oil cap underneath it............hey presto.

Reply to
steve

Ah ha! I was trying to figure out what sort of engine you'd put in a 2.0 GLX

405.. it seemed odd to have such a large engine on a GLX. Forgot that it might not be fuel injection (doh!). The filler cap comes up between the intake manifold on injection models, not carb models.

It sounds like the other poster (Steve) may have a better idea about this engine - doesn't sound like an XU engine after all. If it were, it'd probably be 1998cc and the oil filler should be a black cylindrical plastic thing hovering around somewhere near the intake manifold.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

That sound really dodgy, anyway, just had a look and pulled the dipstick out (orange top) and there doesn't seem to be a black thing to unscrew.... am I missing a bit, just appear to have a tube that the distick goes down and it seems to push fit.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Do you know what engine code it is? Look down to the sump from the front of the engine - there might be a large rubber hose coming up from around there that leads to the oil filler (if it's the engine I'm thinking of).

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

mmm, it's a 1905cc so not one of those BUT, I do have a black cylindrical thing to the right of the intake :) does it have pipes coming of the top and be fairly loose?

I have a look when I get home from work, should be light then.

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Hello,

It is. It has two pipes on top, facing each other. Perhaps there's a sticker on the cap, like "use Shell oil" or similar. There's one on my parents' '88

405 SRi.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

1905cc is an XU engine as well - probably very similar to the 1905cc solex carb-fed engine originally on my 305 GTX. That thing to the right of the intake is most likely it - the cap is sometimes quite difficult to remove.. but it levers off with a screwdriver easy enough. Oh, and it probably has two pipes on the top of the cap - one big, one small and on opposite sides if I remember correctly. There'll be a large pipe at it's base as well. I *think* there may be another pipe connecting to the body of it somewhere but I can't quite remember.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard