405 turbo diesel starts, idles, then smokes like a trooper..

Hi,

I?ve read through the Haynes, searched forums, seeked advice and now doing the obvious next step and asking more knowledgeable folk than myself

I aquired a ?94 GRTD for work which ran ok (previous owner ran it on filtered veg oil - stinks like a chip pan :oops: ),but started great after a new set of heater plugs

I?ve been using B100 (it?s cheaper, and it helps a small local garage to keep open), but last week after filling up about 10 minutes down the road the engine ran like a bag of nails

Now it starts and idles great with no smoke, but after a couple of minutes the idle drops slightly and blue smoke starts to blow out of the exhaust - lots of it!

If I stop the engine and go through the normal start routine it does it again, idles great, no smoke, slight idle drop and smoke galore

Is this a relay somewhere, or a solenoid or thermostat or timer, something really simple, or should I drive it to a breakers and leave it (as my mechanic friend advised)

Kev

Reply to
Odster

Try a fuel filter change, It sounds like a possible blocked filter. Also might be worth an oil and filter change to if you are blowing blue smoke.

Changing between veg and B100 can sometimes cause the filter to block

Reply to
caveman_si

OR DONT USE IT.

Reply to
Chris

The two minutes is interesting. The glow plugs on the turbo engine will stay on for about 2 minutes after starting to reduce smoke. If the bad running is coinciding with this then you do have a combustion problem. Blue smoke is normally oil burning, and if so, then you have a mechanical problem, either worn pistons/rings, or valve guides. Have you tried to check the compression? Easy way for a rough check is to get one front wheel off the ground, then put it into 5th gear, and turn the front wheel. You will feel each compression stroke, and it should be quite stiff to turn past this when the engine is hot. Also all cylenders should feel about the same. You get one stroke per half turn of the wheel. If you really can't feel much compression, then your mechanic friend was probably right. Do you know when the oil was last changed? It might be very thin now if it is old, and a change to a more substantial grade might help.

Reply to
Brian

But why is it fine for 3 minutes then suddenly start smoking?

..the heater relay warms the plugs for 3 minutes then switches off - hmmm

Kev

"Chris" wrote: > caveman_si wrote: > > Try a fuel filter change, It sounds like a possible > blocked filter. > > Also might be worth an oil and filter change to if you are > blowing blue > > smoke. > > > > Changing between veg and B100 can sometimes cause the filter > to block > > > OR DONT USE IT.

Reply to
Odster

God knows when the oil was changed or anything else for that matter (except the plugs which I changed)

I?m bracing myself for the worse, scrap her :cry:

..thanks a lot guys for trying to help

Ke

"Brian" wrote

Reply to
Odster

Do you have any idea of how many miles/km the engine has done? I would expect one of those engines to be good for 200k miles in normal use. My old 306 TD has over 150k now and still goes well. I did have an old 305 with a 1.7D engine which it turned out must have done over 200k, and it was a poor starter. I reground the valves and it carried on for quite a time, then a ring went. If your car is any good in terms of body etc, those engines are now two a penny in scrapyards. Just need to find one with lower miles.

Brian

Well I felt I had to update my thread, it turned out to be rancid fuel, after checking the diesel timing (OK), injectors (OK), the contents of the tank were checked - and it absolutely stank :x

The tank was drained and real diesel put in, once it was pumped through the engine ran great again

..I have sent an email to the garage concerned complaining about my financial loss (fuel + mechanic time)

Ke

"Odster" wrote

Reply to
Odster