405 with 27k

Have just bought a pog 405 diesel estate with genuine 27k on the clock has only been used occasionally. I want to use her daily. anything I should get checked over before I start using her

Reply to
greggig

last time it was serviced? cambelt etc.brakes .if i was you i would jack it up and look at all the brakes. chris addlestone.

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
greggig

Apart from the obvious checks (when was it last serviced, consider changing fluids and rubber bands due to their age), I'd take a careful look at the tyres. They may have plenty of tread, but if the car has hardly been used they could be as old as the car and no longer sound (check especially for cracking and any flat spots from standing - though the latter will be pretty obvious when you drive it!).

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

where is the 406?? you sold it or just getting a diff car?if it is in very good nick i would keep it and give it a full service then you know its safe .

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
greggig

Keep the 405 iam very happy with mine bloody speedo cable went on me today on way home from work, but nobody got one in stock got to wait 3 days.

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
greggig

I'd look at all the hoses, and particularly watch for antifreeze in the passenger footwell which if it happens (I hope it doesn't) could be from the 0-rings on the heater matrix and not the matrix itself.

I mention brake pipes, but the mot should have checked them.

If you have a sunroof be sure to lube it soon.

Don't be phased if a thing like a mobile phone lights on the dash - it's the water in diesel warning and means clearing the filter bowl, though it may just be a duff sensor or connector.

Check the nuts on the wiper bosses are secure - mine have often come loose).

Try to get the radio code, if you havn't already, against the first time you disconnect the battery.

Learn where the nylon connector is on the clutch cable/pedal end, as the can go suddenly. Last time the AA man was carrying a spare because it happened so often.

Already mentioned - the flat spots on tyres are a good point.

But frankly - the 405 TD estate is a superb car, apart from electrical and water niggles - and it sounds like you've got the one I was looking for!

Cheers,

Reply to
Wichita