406 1.9 Turbo Diesel Throttle Shock absorber

Gents My throttle does not always return to normal idling speed of 950 RPM but settles at about 1200 RPM. I have looked at the diesel pump and found the cause to be the throttle shock absorber which is used as a spring to return the throttle to idle speed. I have been to the local Peugeot dealer and quoted £114 for a replacement for me to fit. The part is made by BOSH and has a Bosh part number. Any ideas where I might be able to obtain a new one. Having taken the part off which is marked with legend STARTER SHOCK all seems to work normal. Apart from returning the throttle to slow running does this part perform any other function and therefore can I run permanently without.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

should be ok without it

Reply to
Mindwipe

I was watching this one with interest, what makes you think that? I've scratched my head over that little shock absorber. It must be there for SOME reason surely? Is it just to stop the shut-off being a bit abrupt? The old TD and Non-Turbos didn't have them.

jim..

Reply to
jim.

It's a damper, not a shock absorber. It is there purely to slow the return down. Most of them on older engines are shagged anyway and have little damping effect.

You are checking the idle speed when the engine is warmed up, as the cold running device does speed the idle up to about 1250.

Brian.

Reply to
brian

Thanks Brian

With the shock fitted the throttle doesn't mechanically return to rest when your foot is taken off the accelerator pedal. but opening the bonnet and pushing the throttle on the top of the pump causes it to move the last little bit until it has shut down and then idling speed is obtained (when warm). On the other side of the throttle leaver is a diaphragm device (price £43) which makes contact with the throttle leaver on the pump. The job of this seems to be to oppose the shock and prevent the pump throttle leaver returning quickly to rest when your foot is taken off the accelerator. These two components seem to oppose the action of each partially. I did wonder if part of the reason for the shock was to improve emissions in some way. ( mine has some pressure in it only when the throttle is fully open and hence at this point acts as a sort of spring assister to the return spring on the top of the pump. On my engine the fast idle speed is controlled by a vacuum operated diaphragm which operates a cable to the pump.

My question on the action of this shock was to see it there would be a substitute for the component that I think may be faulty and the price of £114 seems to be very excessive even by Peugeot standards unless any one has an alternative source. My unit was marked by BOSH and has a part number 1

467 032 010 on it.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE