406 1998 1.9TD Cam belt

Gents I am coming up to the 72K when the cam belt needs changing on this vehicle

406GL 1998 1.9 TD. Can anyone who has changed one give me any information on :- 1) how difficult 2) any things to watch for 3) are any new parts required apart from the cam and auxiliary belts 4) any special tools required. Mike
Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Hiya Mike. I believe it's worth changing the water pump while you have that end in bits. Can't help with the rest, I've only ever paid someone trustworthy to do mine, although from groans heard I don't think it's a particularly easy one.

Djimbo

Reply to
djimbo

The worst part is the lack of space. I have not done a 406, but several 405s and 205s. As long as you have the Haynes manual covering the diesel engine, you should have no problems. Assuming that it has the same spring loaded tensioner arm, then as long as you follow the instructions you will end up with about the correct tension. The other type, where they talk of hanging weights on levers to get the tension is more difficult, and you may want to get the tension properly checked when it is finished. As already mentioned, you might want to change the water pump too, as for the £15 or so that it costs, they are a b***** to do at any other time. You will find that removing the crankshaft pulley bolt is difficult. They use locktite. Engage 5th gear and either get a colleague to put their foot hard on the brake pedal or you might be able to put a heavy screwdriver in the slots in the dusk and wedge it against the brake calliper, then use a long bar on a socket. You will also need 3 x 8mm bolts to lock the belt timing, and a bit of 8mm rod, or a drill bit, to lock the flywheel. A bit of stiff wire wound round this rod will help to fit it and retrieve it later. You wil need a torch to find the hole behind the starter motor. Good luck, Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Many be the person would like you to do it Brian?? from chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

I only work on my own vehicles, but happy to help anyone else with advice.

Reply to
Brian

Just a thought, but if you can get to the crankshaft pulley bolt head with a hammer, a solid tap should assist in breaking the lock-tite seal. An old trick I learnt as an apprentice.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to