406 3.0 V6 Auto noise

My 406 V6 makes a noise which I originally thought came from the automatic gearbox. It sounds like a mixture between a grating and a groaning noise - very hard to describe accurately! It only starts up after driving the car for a little while - usually it has kicked in within 3 minutes. It then comes and goes, sometimes quieter, sometimes noisier. I have recently read that the air conditioning makes a similar noise at times - does anyone have experience of this car, this noise, this problem etc etc? Thanks Fin

Reply to
Fin

I get a droning noise which i have always blamed on the tyres. It seems to start after new tyres have been on the car for a few thousand miles (I think the rear) and is more or less noticeable depending on the road surface.

Peter

Reply to
PH13

Thanks Peter, I have now confirmed that my noise is indeed coming from the air-conditioning compressor. Apparently a nbadly designed pipe is the cause of it, and when the climate control is switched to ECO mode, the noise disappears. Which is great, because my car is now like a ghost - silent, smooth and fast.

Reply to
Fin

What year is your car ?

Reply to