406 3 Litre flat spot

I have a 3 Litre V6 406 which will sometimes go as it is supposed to and other times it will not accelerate as normal.

Also (I suspect the same fault ) it will not run at all, the engine dies and has no power but the engine ticks over. Wait a short while and off we go again.

Might this be a duff sensor, if so where is it.

Many thanks and best regards Julian Wesson

Reply to
Julian Wesson

Also (I suspect the same fault ) it will not run at all, the engine dies and has no power but the engine ticks over. Wait a short while and off we go again.

Might this be a duff sensor, if so where is it.

Many thanks and best regards Julian Wesson

Reply to
mindwipe

You are probably right - if so the diagnostics should pick it up. Apparently error messages are stored. I had problems which felt like fuel blockages and turned out to be error mssages - I think from a temp sensor - which made the system revert to a lower level of operation/performance. They replaced the sensor and it solved the problem. But I have never been entirely happy with my 406. It has never given the steady, strong performance that I expected from a 3. The automatic seems to be part of the problem - in which case it may be my fault because the auto is supposed to be guided by my driving habits - whatever that means.

Reply to
ken kerrison

Also (I suspect the same fault ) it will not run at all, the engine dies and has no power but the engine ticks over. Wait a short while and off we go again.

You haven't stated if this is just a cold start problem, which is what I had. If it is a sensor this will be picked up on the diaognostic. But it could be connected to the injectors which is a strip down to locate the faulty part. Since it has been sorted the old BMs ain't having the road again.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

My 3.0 had a similar fault when it was about a year old and it was caused by a faulty sensor. Sorry can't remember which one but it is easy enough for the dealer to read details from the computer. Regarding other comments about lack of power from the engine, mine is the later 210 hp version with auto and once the revs get beyond 3000 rpm it really flies. Remember though that the 406 is not a lightweight car and it will never accelerate like a hot hatch. Also that the engine is so smooth and quiet there is little sensation of power and you probably don't notice how well it moves.

Also (I suspect the same fault ) it will not run at all, the engine dies and has no power but the engine ticks over. Wait a short while and off we go again.

Might this be a duff sensor, if so where is it.

Many thanks and best regards Julian Wesson

Reply to
Kim Fullbrook

Beg to differ, (not so much now though..) When I first had mine a hot hatch had p**** me off weaving in out all down the motorway ! Until off the slip road and waiting to join the main road. So I waited at the lights primed the sports mode, red, amber, green and floored it !!!!

Nowt but a small car disappearing in the rear view mirror and great sense of satisfaction! ("Them V6 auto estates do motor!")

Reply to
John Hollinshead