406 "Airbag" Light on dash

Hi Folks

I have a 406 2.0 HDi yr 2002.

My AIRBAG light has illuminated on the dash and when I start the engine "Airbag Fault" appears on the display.

Using Google Groups I gather this is a common problem.... however, as recommended, I have checked the connectors under both front seats and there is good connectivity between both sides of all connectors. So, this cannot be the problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance, Ol

Reply to
Oli

Hi There I have previously posted a note on here about the same problem I have the same model as your's but 99. The tried the same as you with no luck but all I can say (which may be of no help to you!) is that after a few weeks mine went off and still hasnt come back so I know someone else with the same thing and they just put tape over the light on the dash. Sorry cant be more help but it may just go off like mine. Cheers

Reply to
Fed Up Young Lady Driver

When mine was done some years ago by a dealer, the connections under the seat appeared fine, but they still removed the connectors and soldered the wires together which cured the problem until it happened a second time when they carried out the same procedure under the other front seat. Since then no problem at all.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

How did you check? My 306 has had this problem in the past. Looking underneath the connectors seem okay, wiggling the connectors doesn't make any difference. The only actual solution I've found is to disconnect the connectors and re-connect. Solves it every time. So - whilst it may *look* and *feel* okay, it might not be.

BTW - some people suggest being very careful about how you do this, how long to have battery disconnected for etc. Each time I've done it, I've just turned off the ignition and fiddled with the connectors. So far I've been okay. (so far!!!)

David Hearn

UPDATE...

I have now soldered the connections and got rid of the connectors.

However, I still have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas, or is it a garage job??

TIA Ol

Reply to
Oli

Did you do it under both front seats? If so then, like you, I am fresh out of ideas. You might do well to repost as a new thread because people who's news server has a short retention period will no longer be able to see it.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Years ago I had this problem and picked up the fix from this group - soldering the connectors under the seat. Next service I menioned it and they said: 'Yes- common fault and we will solder the connections - the recommended fix'. They did and it has not recurred. Whoever services your vehicle will be able to check whether all the right joins have been soldered.

And someone mentioned that even a soldered connection failed - had to be re-done.

Reply to
Ken

But don't forget that is not the only thing that puts the light on, albeit the most common. The rotary connector behind the steering wheel also puts it on (or the Comm 2000) on later cars) is another. Also a fault in the ECU, or the wiring. You really need to get the fault codes read.

Reply to
nigel

Reply to
Yuting Wan