406 clutch cable

Hi, sorry for re-posting this but I thought someone would have replied to the original by now and I need to make a move on this - any help much appreciated...

I need to replace the clutch cable on my 406 TD, but the clutch people who replaced the clutch say that "the cable's a bastard to change" and can't even give me a price as they don't know how long it'll take!!?? I had a look in the Haynes manual and it looks pretty straight forward so I thought I might have a go myself. Has anyone tried this themselves? I'd

appreciate any feedback / tips as I don't want to jump into anything that's going to turn into a nightmare.

Thanks

Reply to
Mando

Not quite certain as I have never done one on a 406, but I am told that they have the same pedal clip as the Citroen Xantia.

I have changed quite a few Xantia cables.

The cable has an "arrow head" at the clutch pedal end. This makes the clip a one way street.

Removing the cable from the clip at the pedal is the awkward bit! You will need to remove the pedal to do this.

Undo the cable at the gearbox end. Remove the clutch pedal. Seperate the cable from the clip. It is now advisable to change the clip Put the new clip on the pedal. Replace the pedal. Feed the new cable into it's brackets, into position Feed the pedal end through the hole in the bulkhead. Get someone to hold the gearbox end of the cable. Stick yer head in the footwell and guide the cable into the clip. When it's almost home, get the other chap to give the inner cable a good hard sharp shove. The cable should click into the clip. Fit the gearbox end. Adjust.

All this is very well if the cable is the same as the Xantia, I suspect it is, as every time the AA man brought in a Xantia with the pedal on the floor, he would allways tell me that the same clip snaps on the

406.

Hope ths helps in some way.

Regards Slim

Reply to
martin.taz

Apparently the clip is also seated onto a bracket. In my xantia this had snapped off. Apparently this is a common affair Regards G

Reply to
G Cadman

Many thanks. It doesn't sound too painful so I think I'll give it a try. I'll post back with any problems if I hit any, for anyone else who mght be thinking of having a go.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Mando