406 cooling fan wiring diagram?

Does anyone have access to an accurate wiring diagram for a 406 2.0 16v 1998 with aircon? Specifically the bit concernig the cooling fans. The one in the Haynes manual is less than accurate and the manual I bought on line didn't have any diagrams in it (or much else of any use TBH).

One of my fans isn't working and having checked out the fan itself and the relays I'm at a bit of a loss. The sensors also seem ok compared with a few I got from the scrapyard. The aircon also works and I have it regassed regularly so it isn't that. I'm tempted to put one fan in parallel with the compressor on the aircon and frig the other with a separate temperature sensor.

Reply to
malc

Unfortunately no

If I recall correctly from my 605svti, the second fan only comes in when the coolant temperature exceeds a much higher level, which mine rarely reached (even when towing a caravan at speed in the heat of Spain). I would expect the 406 to work in a similar way, hope this helps.

Reply to
Brian Kelly

I also don't have a diagram for the 406 but my 405 with aircon switches the fans on in series as soon as the aircon is switched on on the dash (whether or not the compressor clutch is engaged). When the aircon is working hard or the engine itself is in need of extra cooling, the fans are switched on in parallel.

Favourite problems are one fan partially siezing in the series mode, so that only one fan runs; and corrosion on the contact of the relays which causes a multitude of strange effects.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Cheers. That does sound about right but I've swapped out the fans and checked that they work and cleaned the relay pins. It could be the actual relay contacts I suppose. Half the problem is that it's a right bugger to get at the fans.

Reply to
malc

I've found that the relay problems are all external connection issues due to the lunatic design (at least on the 405) of where they are located behind the grille and get all the weather/salt spray etc thrown at them. They may be better placed on the 406- not sure.

I have read of the 'BITRON' controller being responsible for the overall fan control but never located the device in the car. Sorry i can't be more helpful. There is a Pug technician Nigel who used to lurk in this NG and pop up with helpful comments from time to time but I've not seen him post for a while. Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Same place :-( I have cleaned all the pins with switch cleaner but to no avail.

I had trouble with that in my Xantia however this one seems fine when I measure it with a multimeter.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc