406 Coupe 2.0

A quick(ish) question for those in the know...

I, being a poor lad who has just bought a house, have about £4-4.5K to spend on a car - is it worth bagging one of the two-litre 406 Coupes I've seen floating around on AutoTrader? I know it won't be anywhere near as exhilarating a drive as the 3.0 V6, but I need something that's remotely economical as well...so I guess it's pose value really...at least I'm honest! It is a f***ing gorgeous car though (mmm, pinnifarina...) and, considering my current beast is a smashed-up '95 Mondeo Estate (1.8TD, just to be totally slow), even the two-litre will probably be pokey enough for me.

Anyway, I've seen a couple in my price range with about 95-100K miles on the clock - assuming the FSH shows it's been serviced as required, is it worth it? What are the engines like when they've got that amount of miles on the clock? I don't want to travel 100 miles to get one, only to have it die after twelve months.

All opinions/feedback massively appreciated, and respondents will be entered into a free draw to win a recently-used and unlaundered sock.

Thanks, Steve.

Reply to
Steve Caudwell

I bought a 605 SVTI 2 litre turbo with 120,000 miles on the clock a few years back and did another 200,000 in it making a total of 300,000 when i finally sold it (may as well have given it away but still) AND it still didn't use a drop of oil, only hassle i ever had was with the cam belt which snapped and didn't damage the engine so easily fixed and that was my own fault for not getting it changed.

100,000 on a car nowadays is absolutely nothing at all, whats more important is the condition of the car and if it looks like it's been looked after then it quite likely has. Service history will confirm this for you.

Hope that helps a bit if you want more info mail me privately.

Bob

Reply to
Bob