406 Coupe - loud band from roof

I have just bought a 406 coupe 2.0SE on a V plate. I am delighted with it, except for one problem..

When sitting in the car, there is a loud bang as if someone has just hit the roof behind the drivers seat. It's exactly like something heavy hitting the car from outside. I've been trying to pin down when it happens with the following results.

It only happens once per journey

It has always happened when the engine is running, but the car can be moving or stationary.

Once it happened twice in a journey, but the second 'bang' came just after I had got out of the car to take my jacket off.

The doors are always closed when it happens.

The windows are always closed when it happens.

It is very very loud and the only time that it's happened with the stereo on it seemed even louder.

Any ideas

Anyone?

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Could be a Marillion concert.

Reply to
mUs1Ka

Do you know the history of the car? Has it had any major bodywork repairs? If so it could be that the shell isn't completely straight and what youy are hearing is stress in the shell releasing as the shell warms/cools.

I suggest getting it checked out on a jig.

It could, of course, be caused by something completely different.

Reply to
Peter

Does it only happen with the radio on?

I had what turned out to be a dry joint in the radio that fed the right hand front of the speakers.

At first I thought a stone had been thrown up by another car and hit the windscreen it was so loud. Just like you, it would happen once per journey and would scare the life out of me as it would come out of the blue. In the end, I took the radio out and ran fresh solder around the leads on the pcb that supplied the speakers and the bang disappeared and so far has never returned.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Bendall

i'd say Metalica is on your roof

Reply to
Marc

My dad's just been telling me he had this problem once with a van . turned out to be three vans welded together ;-) Thinking about your prob. set me wondering. I had a real big (shit-yourself) bang one night driving on a country road. It sounded something like a bigish stone hitting the n/s window or door. At the time I assumed it had to be some prat chucking stones about. Mysterious eh!

Reply to
Justin Thyme