406 Coupe Water problems!!

Hi All, this is my first post, looked around the site for help on problem with my car but can't find anything relates to it.

Basically just bought a 406 Coupe SE 2.0 X reg, and within one week steam puring out of bonnet, Water levels depleating almost straight away and heater obviously won't work.

Took it into a Garage and the radiator was rotten so had new one fitted, seemed to be problem solved, heater worked fine, no more steam puring out from anywhere.

But few days later heater stopped working (was eratic - cold warm - cold

-warm), and the water levels were low again. I cannot see any leaks and there is no amount of steam that i can see coming from the exhaust where water could be getting lost, and when i filled water tank up again the heat worked again.

Car drives like a dream, but there is obviously something pretty wrong here...

Can you suggest anything that could be wrong, as if i take it back to the garage i think they will try and stitch me up!

Thanks very much

James

Reply to
Jamiemac26

Try a search of the group under 'overheating' and there are other tags you could use. There have been dozens of posts on hot water problems.

Reply to
kkerrison

If this happened soon after the radiator was replaced maybe the garage just didn't bleed the cooling system properly. They are notoriously difficult to bleed and require a special technique to get all the air out.

Keep an eye on the coolant level and see if it doesn't settle down. If it requires continual topping up over a long time period then maybe get it pressure checked or checked for a leaking head gasket. I wouldn't be so concerned about the heater but worry about potential engine damage. Engine cooling is the radiators primary function and the heater is a secondary function.

Ryan

Reply to
RyanO

Ok, so I will keep an eye on the levels and if it still needs filling right up every day after a couple of weeks then I will get it checked out

Thanks very much for your help!

Reply to
Jamiemac26

Haynes says that a header tank has to be used to fill the system as parts of it are higher than the filler cap. They suggest making one by cutting off the top of a plastic drinks bottle and sealing it in the filler neck. Failure to do this will result in air locks.

Reply to
Keith

Agreed

Well, yes; but in general a heater suddenly going cold can be a very good indication that the water has stopped circulating for one reason or another, so should be regarded as an early warning signal. Especially when you add in the fact that water temperature gauges only work properly when the sensor is surrounded by water. OK, they will tell you the temperature of the air around them, but that won't give you much of a clue as to what is going on in the hot bits of the engine until it is too late.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

"Jamiemac26" wrote: > Ok, so I will keep an eye on the levels and if it still needs > filling right > up every day after a couple of weeks then I will get it > checked out > > Thanks very much for your help!

Sounds like it hasn?t been bled properly. I would strongly reccomend getting it bled fully before using it, if there is alot of air in there you risk overheating and damaging the head gasket and head.

Reply to
bigmac999

Ron, I agree with what you're saying it can give an indication but I would hardly recommend to someone (particularly inexperienced) to check if the cars heater is working to find out if it's overheating, or out of anti-freeze, by then it may be time for new engine. On the 406 there's a bleed valve on the heater union just before it goes into the cabin, ie the high point in the system that's most likely to have an air pocket. So if the heaters not working it probably means the system hasn't been bled.

I bled my cars system (according to the Haynes manual) after I replaced the thermostat housing but I still had to top up a few times before the level remained constant.

Ryan

Reply to
RyanO

Well over the weekend i Bled the system and left the engine running with the hood up so i could see if any water was spewing from anywhere. It turns out that i had a faulty header cap and the water was streaming out of there and subsequently sucking air back into the system!! £6 on a new cap, job done! thank f@%k for that! thanks for all your advise, and i shall be back on when next problem occurs!

Reply to
Jamiemac26