406 DAMN !!HDI fuel lift pump

Hi has anyone any tips on refitting the plastic ring that holds the lift pump on to the fuel tank , it goes about 1 turn and locks up solid , I've cleaned all the thread out where is sits ETC I've broken 1 ring so I dont want to snap another :( any tips appreciated, cheers ... John

Reply to
Johno

gingerwinger60

yes its your tank the neck that the ring fits on is warped , and a new tank costs about =A3300+ fitting. The only way I got it to work after all the banging knocking was to put one cut in the ring place it round the neck of the tank ( now you will see how far your tanks out) Remove the ring put a slither or silicon round the (blue)seal between the tank and sender/pump place a small bead of silicon round the bottom of the pump edge get a piece of wood from roof of the car to the top of the pump to hold it in place Now put some silcon round the in side of your cut ring and put the ring in place Now get a large hose clip I put 2 tumble dryer clips together to get one big enough ,put the clip round the ring and tighten untill the cut in the ring has closed up leave it overnight costs a fiver not =A3300 this worked for me take your time carry out a dummy run and clean and dry everything before doing the real thing I hope this helps and good luck.

Reply to
gingerwinger60

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Hi thanks a lot for your reply, i'd tried hours to get that ring started but it wasn't having it !!! so as I needed the car for work i just put the old split ring back and tightened is to nearly where the 2 arrows line up and i'll put a Jubilee clip around it as you said to hold it in place when i get time to do it, funny thing is i put 12 volt supply on pump i'd took out and it ran no problem so now i'm wondering if it was something else wrong? Although it's been ok since I changed it, anyway thanks again, much appreciated :)

John

Reply to
Johno

Hi John You will need to make the tank and system fuel & air tight A.S.A.P or you will lose power and fuel from the ring at the tanks top under the back seat, dont forget you have a high preser fuel system on an HDI and your hps pump under the hood will not be getting the fuel it needs, and they cost real money =A3500+ and fitting if your lucky and they have to be fitted at the dealer for calabrating. =A3100 for a new lift pump and a fiver for a new ring at the back is peanuts.

Reply to
celticboy