406 diesel starting

Sorry if this has been in before. A friends 406 Diesel 2001 vintage occasionally won't start when warm. Very erratic and of course unrepeatable when in garage for a week. Just churns over and not a splutter. Leave a while hour or more and starts. New pump, no joy. Sounds electrical to me - is there anything easy to check out? I'm no diesel fan so all advice welcome. Thanks

Reply to
paul.a.shelley

haynes says.battery discharged.battery terinal connections loose or corroded.air filter element dirty or clogged.air in fuel system.low cylinder compressions. injection pump timing incorrect, hope this has helped..

Reply to
Chris

Battery discharged we can discount as we can for the air filter. If it was constant bad starting then maybe. Loose connection somewhere or air in fuel would be my guess. Low compression or wrong timing would give constant trouble.

Reply to
malc

In message , snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com writes

Hmmm same as mine but mine was the fuel pump seizing up through crap in the tank (Tesco Diesel :( ) it could also be a number of other things , the best way is a Diagnostic check, just guessing here ,but

1st thing I'd check is Crankshaft and cam shaft posisiton sensors ,also the fuel pump relay , nothings easy on these modern engine management systems , Good luck mate let me know if you get it sorted
Reply to
Johno

i have been using tescos petrol for many years with no problem in all the cars i have used and got.

Reply to
Chris

Yes I've been using Tesco diesel the past 3 years and no trouble , I guess the last time I filled up I got a bad batch, anyways it cost me

300 pounds for a new fuel tank and 170 for a new lift pump so I will not be using their diesel again no way !!
Reply to
Johno

Although this is OT I will not use Teco fuel although this is because of their treatment of suppliers. Our local Esso station - West Byfleet - had problems with contaminated fuel after they were taken over by Tesco's .............

Is the 406 HDI ? I have seen two vehicles with poor starting and misfiring/lack of power at higher revs. recently. The problem could be overcome by pressurising the fuel by using the hand primer but then would re-appear as the pressure was released. This was due to the fuel filter being blocked with extremely fine particles from where??. In one case it was possible to clean by scraping out the deposits then washing filter in petrol - obviously filter was replaced later.

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

There is no hand primer on the HDI engine. The lift pump in the tank makes it unnecessary. If you run out of fuel you just crank the starter after refilling as you would with a petrol engine. The particles in the filter were almost certainly filings from the lift pump which breaks down in this way and is a known problem with Peugeot HDIs. The Peugeot cure for this is to replace everything from tank to injectors inclusive at a price in excess of £3,000. However, if caught in time, a good non-Peugeot repairer can clean the system out thoroughly and fit a new lift pump. You would still be looking at a bill of around £800 though. I speak from personal experience.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

In message , Keith Willcocks writes

The fuel pump in the tank has a filter on the bottom, not servicable without stripping plastic case on pump/sender housing , a very bad design, that pump should have been sat in a seperate filter housing that you could remove and at least clean out when getting fuel trouble ETC What happens is the small filter on the inlet glogs up and the pump motor starts overloading and that is the cause of poor starting , anyway mines OK now it fired up 1st time this morning and seems to be running a lot better than it ever has before :)

Reply to
Johno

So IF YOU PUT DEISEL CLEANER IN THE TANK WITH DEISEL FROM TESCOS IT SHOULD BE O.K AS I HAVE USED TESCOS SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN THERE WITH NO PROBLEM..

Reply to
Chris

I have never, so far, had any problems with any supermarket fuel, nor would I expect to, it's not as if it is any chepar these days. (except in France).

Reply to
Brian

That is why I asked if it was an HDI - my comments referred to non HDI regarding hand primer

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Hiya - thanks for all ideas. I personally reckon its electrical as it (apparently) runs fine all the time, just won't start from warm occasionally. I'd have thought main dealer would have checked the obvious like fuel lines/filters? My only experience of a blocked fuel line was with petrol car and that showed as lack of power at speed (and got worse). Its annoying its not mine as I'd have a few checks to make when it stops. I think its an HDI. Are there any easy electrical checks that could be made (by a woman) if supplied with test stuff?

Thanks for all help.

paul

Reply to
paul.a.shelley