[406] Display reads "Brake Fluid Low" when handbrake is on.

Every time I put my handbreak on, the centre console display bleeps and flashes up "Brake Fluid Low"

The brake fluid apears to be fine, so its a sensor fault. Any ideas where the sensor is and how the handbrake (being cable drivin) is activating it?

Luke

Reply to
Luke Wells

It's your handbrake switch. I had the same problem about a year ago and wrote to this NG. It's a common fault and a redesigned switch is available. It's only about £4 from a Peugeot dealer. To change the switch you have to remove the centre console.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I dont doubt your answer, but what the hell does the handbrake switch have to do with the brake fluid level ????

Peugeot ..... they just get better and better

Reply to
Luke Wells

Reply to
Mindwipe

Yeh the designed for living, engineered to last, yeah for the next 2 years when you have to MOT it for the first time. Then something silly becomes really silly expensive. Modding them is really iffy too cos whatever you do the emissions get hit big time. From what I was told in Lex the ECUs in Fords dont compensate very well so changing a filter hits emissions. Besides, they all look the same and have the most crappiest dashes ive ever seen. The fiestas look as if when they designed it they either ran out of plastic or got bored and couldnt be bothered to design anything else. The always show adverts of 4 clubbers in a car going round town. Lets see one with them all in the car on the motorway for 3 hours!

scott

Reply to
scott

I've got a 406 and an F150. I prefer the latter - something about the elevated driving position. The road holding and cornering are excellent too - goodness knows why because the engineering is pretty basic.

Reply to
ken kerrison

Would the display flahing BRAKE FLUID LOW be an MOT failure?

Reply to
David McKray

um i would say yes most definitely. If you were for some reason to develop a brake problem and that light doesnt work properly how the hell are you to know before its too late? If you have an MOT coming up then I would make a list of things it could be, start from the top and move down slowly. Thats what i do and my car flew through the MOT about 2 months ago!

However, in contrast to this, if your engine management light came on then it wouldnt matter because if all the tests came back to be ok in the MOT then that light doesnt make a jot. Could just be a dry joint or something. One the whole the most common things to fail are emmissions, lights, brakes and CV gators. Oh, and check your tyres too, your spare will pass cos its only illegal now if you put it on your car (UK).

scott

Reply to
scott

How do I get to the switch? Do I just take the middle plastic bit out?

Reply to
David McKray

Push both seats forward. Remove the 10mm bolts at the rear sides. Push the seats back. Remove the ashtray, and then the ashtray holder by lifting it at the rear with a screwdriver. Pull the light bulb and holder away, and let it go into the console. Remove the gear lever gaiter with a screwdriver at the rear. Under the gaiter you'll see two

10mm nuts holding the console to the floor. Remove. Remove the trim under the handbrake lever with a screwdriver at the forward end. Under the trim there is a sliding piece of plastic that moves along as you operate the handbrake. Gently guide it under the console. If fitted, remove the seat armrests. If the only electrical items in your console are a cigar lighter and the passenger airbag de-activation switch. Then lift up the rear of the console to it's fullest extent. You should be able to fit an 8inch extension bar under the console to hold it up. If you have heated seat switches then you will have to disconnect them to get enough lift on the console. Then go in through the o/s/r door. Around the base of the lever is a rubber gaiter. Lift it up to expose the switch. Remove the plug from the switch. Note the metal arm on the lever that contacts the switch when the lever is down. Note it is parallel. Lift the lever up as far as it will go. Get a pair of pliers and bend the metal arm upward a few mills. You don't need a great deal. Then remove the old switch by rotating it upward. Fit the new one in reverse. You may need to press down fairly hard to lock it into place. Then bend the arm back to it's original position. Connect up the plug, start the car and try the handbrake lever. Make sure the light on the dash goes out when the lever is down, and comes on by at least the second notch up. If all is well then proceed in reverse order. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. I did one this afternoon and it took just over 10 minutes. Peugeot will charge half an hour labour plus the price of the switch. Can't recall what that was. Good luck!!
Reply to
Nigel

Thanks, that seeme like you've given plenty of detail. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

Reply to
David McKray