406 - DIY servicing?

As mentioned in another post, I'm looking for a 406 HDI. Is servicing one of these a reasonable proposition for a DIYer?

Reply to
Doki

If you have time on your hands todo it yes it is a d,i,y job and fun todo. at least you know it all has been done.

Reply to
Chris

Yes.

Oh you wanted a bit more. I haven't experience of the HDi but the mechanics of the petrol model aren't bad. There are one or two jobs I haven't the tools for (like hydraulic coil spring compressors and hub pullers) which would stop me doing one or two jobs but you've probably got a load more kit than me. I've had the front coil spring snap and couldn't do that myself for lack of the above doofus (and time and garage space), brakes and discs are a doddle (I changed pads with just a mole grip and a hammer).

Reply to
malc

good tools for doing pad. mole grips and a hammer.hahahaha.have to get set of them and use them next time we get a car in for pads.

Reply to
Chris

malc ("malc" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Agreed.

As with any common-rail wheezel, be very wary of the fuel system when it's pressurised. It's ridiculously high pressure.

Reply to
Adrian

Tut, tut.

"No jobs worth doing unless it needs a new tool"

Reply to
PCPaul

Reply to
malc

Most hire places hire things out like that.but if you know some one that does cars they might let you use there tools if they got that sort of tool.

Reply to
Chris

I remember hearing that one of the official test tools for leaks on one of the Cit HDIs was basically a piece of paper on a very long stick. The problem is that at that kind of pressure the diesel can shoot straight through your skin...

Reply to
Doki

That applys to any diesels high pressure pipe work though. Pretty much the first thing we got taught at Lucas was if you where stupid enough to shoot yoursef with an injector then go to caualty & get them to look up high pressure injuries whilst they tried to send you home, after an hours argument you'd have all the evidence you needed & you'd be in the right place.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan Wood ("Duncan Wood" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed.

It always makes me chuckle that common rail injection is running at many, many times the pressure of Citroen hydraulics - yet mechanics now quite happily working on common rails are the same people who spent decades running scared from a mere 70 bar.

Reply to
Adrian

Well I was visiting a friend and the warninglight came on halfway between Gloucester and Liverpool. My friend has no tools except for the above so.....

Malc

Reply to
Malc

I don't think it was the pressure that scared them :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

True but there's the time and space factor too. I've got to work at the side of the road because my garage was built for 1960s cars (and it's full of other junk) and even if I do work in front of the garage because it's en block I'd obstruct the other people in the road etc.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

At least it did the job ..and did not cost you much,

Reply to
Chris