406 electric windows. Help Urgently please

My driver's side window is stuck two-thirds down and nothing I can do will make it move.

It has to happen on a Friday, of course, when the Pug dealer doesn't want to know.

If I could only close it, I would be happy, but I can't shift the thing.

The passenger one works OK and the switch lights illuminate on both of them so there is power up to the switch, of course.I got the switch out but drew a blank there. I also tried by-passing the switch by looping a wire between different pairs of wires but that achieved nothing and I didn't really know what I was doing. I put a testing lamp across each of the six wires and only one lit when I earthed them individually.

The vehicle is a 406 turbo diesel, 1997.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful as I need to use the car a great deal in the next few days. If I could just keep out the wind, rain, and car thieves, I would be very pleased.

Eric

Reply to
Cire

Sounds like the regulator has gone. If you can take the door panel off, and carefully remove the protective membrane to access the electrical connection, disconnect it, put your test light to one wire and operate the switch. It should light up, either up or down. Now go to the other wire and operate it again. Should light up the opposite way. If that all happens, then you have feed to the regulator. Renew it. In the meantime disconnect the window from the regulator and hold up with a piece of wood inside the door, or make a couple of wedges and fit to the outside to hold it up, while you refit the panel. Then transfer the wedges one by one to the inside.

Reply to
Nigel

Nigel

Very many thanks for your comprehensive reply to my posting.

I am about to try what you suggest. Can you please tell me what the 'regulator' does as its name does not really suggest its purpose. Does that have anything to do with the motor, which presumably drives the window up or down?

Regards

Eric

Reply to
Cire

The regulator converts the rotary movement of the motor to the up and down motion needed by the window!! In other words it's the bit connected to the glass, and these days includes the motor. You can't get it separately.

Reply to
Nigel