406 Engine Quality

Hi everyone

I am wondering if anyone can assist with something.

I have been looking at a 1.9 petrol V reg 406 Estate, it has done

110,000 miles.

How are these engines at lasting? Is this engine likely to go onwards eg upto 150,000 miles? are they susceptable to failure? I am aware that the cam belts are known to be weak and need replacing at 30,000 mile intervals.

Does anyone have any advice on what to look out for on a 406 Estate with this sort of mileage?

Thanks Freddy

Reply to
google

Erm, there's no such thing :)

Is it really the 2.0 16v Petrol ?

How long is a piece of string. As long as it has a full service history, then there's no reason to suspect it won't clear the 150k mark. If it doesn't have good history, then walk away - 110k with minimal maintenance, will be nearing the end of it's life.

The price. With 110k on the clock, it should be cheap as chips, so I wouldn't worry too much about it's reliability. It'll have done quite a lot of motorway mileage in it's life, so shouldn't really be any more worn than your average-mileage car.

Reply to
Nom

Thanks for your reply Nom.

You are quite correct in that 1.9 doesn't exist. However i have found out that it is a 1.8 GLX (shuddering with memory of the 405 GLX i had that was plagued with bad engine problems)

Cheers Freddy

p.s. "how l>

Reply to
google

The 1.8 is underpowered in the lardy 406. Steer clear, and look for the 2.2 HDi Diesel or the 2.0 16v Petrol. There are heaps of high-mileage ex-fleet cars around, so you shouldn't have any problems finding one with a correctly sized engine :)

Reply to
Nom

i second that, an 1.8 wont go for all that long in a lumpy 406

2.0/ 2.2 littre HDi or a 3.0 litre V6 would do better Afiak the 1.8 and the 2.0 petrol engines are the same lump with a different head
Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

Got one of those but not the estate.Fine engine up to the 88k I've done.Always had it serviced and it tows a 2 berth caravan effortlessly. They always had a rep.for good engines.You MUST ensure the timing belt has been changed or if bought get it done.A 2 grand repair awaits if it goes.I like my car and engine apart from the clock and other minor niggles.

Reply to
Harry Collingwood

To be honest we have never really made a decent petrol engine except for the v6 petrol ,(es9j4).personally i'd stick to the diesels either 2.0 hdi 110 NOT the 90 (dw10ated) or 2.2 h.d.i (dw12) regards mark.....

Reply to
MARK B peugeot m.t. via CarKB.com

Never? You're a great one for generalisations aren't you? And like most generalisations, it's wrong.

And who is this 'we'?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

what an ignorant prick!!!....... who the hell are you to judge my opinions? . Do you work on these vehicles everyday of your life? . I say the word "we" as i work for a peugeot franchise ..... i love idiots like yourself who haven't even probably haven't picked up a spanner or a scope in their lives. .....please leave a comment as i could do with a laugh ....

Reply to
MARK B peugeot m.t. via CarKB.com

:-) sorry about the " i love idiots like yourself who

we all make mistakes don't we ron ;-)

Reply to
MARK B peugeot m.t. via CarKB.com

Blimey - that's nearly a quote from the parkers guide!

My 1998 406 estate 1.8 petrol is just passing 120k miles, it was dealer serviced to nearly 80k and has been used by me on long motorway runs to my varying workplaces. It has had a new idle control valve and MAP sensor and numerous filter/oul/plug changes (More often than Pug schedule) and there is no smoke, noise, etc, just a reliable car.

I'm happy with it but don't thrash it - it tows anything I've thrown at it so far (1.25 tonne trailer sailer) and it is comfy.

On the long runs to work it costs me between 10p/mile to 11p/mile in petrol. Our 3 kids fit in the back, it has loads of room for loads of other stuff - what else do you want in your car, dammit? Style?

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

Not every day, but I have been driving Peugeots since 1960 (before you were even a twinkle, I suspect) and worked on quite a few as well.

And when did you and/or this franchise last design and build an engine?

i love idiots like yourself who

Yes, I'm afraid you did. But never mind, please learn by it - that's what mistakes are for...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Hi ..driving them doesn't make you an expert ron ;-).I am not saying i 'm one (but in peugeot's eyes i am) .But when you repair these vehicles everyday of your life you tend to know whats good and bad .Like i said the petrols are bad.... they don't even touch anything decent like japanese stuff which I.M.H.O are brilliant... lets hope we do well with the 107( japanese 384f engine) best regards mark ;-)

Reply to
MARK B via CarKB.com

Maybe not, but spending many years building and preparing sports/racing and racing cars goes a bit of the way...

I am not saying i 'm

Yes, we have gathered that you think that Peugeot have as high an opinion of yourself as you have ;-)

Saying all Peugeot petrol engines are bad doesn't really help anyone unless you can back it up with actual facts, not just opinion. If you just went on that, you might well find yourself out on a limb when it comes to the V6. You may well be right about some engines though - I'd just like to know which and what exactly you think is wrong with them.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Although the HDi90 is a little lightweight compared to the 110, it's fine for a daily commute if you don't have to compete on a racetrack like the A322 Bracknell or A61 Leeds! Mine's done 82k and it's sweet as a nut. Pulls well from 1900 rpm and delivers 47mpg with air con on. However, 4 up and it sucks. It's horses for courses of course. I've found out that I just don't need the power on my daily 26 mile grind both ways... Previous car was Audi A6 2.6 V6 and I don't miss it on my Fosse Way journey in the midlands. Cheers, TJ

Reply to
Tim Jesson

My first peugeot was a 504 and I was haapy with it. Next was a 505 which felt a bit underpowered (and the engine had to be rebuilt because of some problem with the seals on the wet sleeves).

So my 406 is V6 - not exactly blistering power but adequate and few problems.

Reply to
Ken

I think you will find that the Road Tax is a lot cheaper with a 110 than a

90 because of the emission figures.
Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi,

I'll second Mark on some points, as I think some engines were unfair regarding Pug's reputation. The 2nd series of XUs (XU8, XU10) were a bit heavy, due to their cast iron lump. I've driven a XU8-powered Xsara, and I always felt the engine as a bit "heavy" unless driven in hi-revs. Comparing this XU8 with a XU9J2 shows you the trick : the 'J2 is far more responsive, even under 3k RPM, although it isn't that torquy. The other "unfair" engine was certainly the TU9. 954cc doesn't make a powerful engine, I have to agree with that, but with its 45/50HP he was damn lumpy and used to return far worse MPG than the 1.1 (TU1).

Out of that the XU10 was pretty brilliant (a bit heavier of course), loads of torque as they used the increased capacity in this goal.

Instead of that, the gearboxes are not that good, remember the BE1 series are a bit stiff to engage 2nd, while BE3 sometimes are a pain to get into reverse. But out of that, both are sharp and fast.

Regards, G.T (no expert, not a Pug tech).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

we are not talking about sports/racing cars we are talking about peugeot standard engines . Stick to the programme ron ;-).I don't think im the "bee's knee's read the post again .Pay particular attention to the part "im not saying im an expert" bit again just so you understand it fully.Read it again as i didn't say all petrols.I wouldn't even attempt to tell you how to prep a sports/race engine if you have obvious experience in this field.So please don't tell me that my opinions ,generalisations are wrong .v6 good ,most tu engines are ok but are still poor compared to most makes ..

Reply to
MARK B via CarKB.com

your the expert ron don't forget!. Please tell me the good and bad points of the following engines...tu series= tu1,tu3,tu5jp+tu5jp4.. xu series=..xu 7,10. (jp+4's). es9.series=. es9j4, es9a. ew = ew7,ew10,ew12 inc ew10d. ET3 engine,g1 engine... i'll look forward to your opinions (after all everyones entitled to them) best regards mark

Reply to
MARK B via CarKB.com