406 estate 1.9TD Drag link

Gents Getting ready for the MOT I had a look at the drag links on the rear of my

406 estate. There is a ball joint at one end and rubber bushes where it attaches to the body. I was wondering if anyone knows the correct way to test these as the bushes on both side seem very soft and can be squashed when the bar is twisted towards the front or rear of the car. Mike
Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Jack up car at back with hand break off, grab wheel at top and bottom and pull back and forth, there should be no play in the suspension other than the direction it is supposed to move in. As long as all bushes at joints are intact (ie no splits or cracks) it should pass ok. Give wheel a spin while it is up to check wheel bearing. Mine recently failed on the rear tie bar (short rod about 10" long) bushes were fine but wheel had a side to side movement of a couple of mm, rod had to be replaced as holes for bushes had become oval! (too much high speed cornering) Hope this helps?!

Reply to
simon-406lxdt