406 executive estate

I recently purchased through a relative a 1999 T reg 406 exec est, it i

a 2ltr and has air con, trip computor. Can anyone tell me if it is an hd model, bhp etc. I have no handbook and was also wondering if this mode should have cruise control, I have 4 stalks off the column and am no sure what the bottom left one is for. Would it be recommended to do timing belt it has 74000 miles on. Thanks for any info you can give. PS very comfortable car to drive

-- richard

----------------------------------------------------------------------- richardB's Profile:

this thread:

richardB

you bought a car and you don't know the exact type

does it use diesel to proppel? then its likely to be a HDI they came in two versions a 110Bhp with intercooler and a 90Bhp without, open the bonnet if you see an inteercooler its a 110

also the standard 110 goes to 120MpH the 90 does not come near that

if the botton lever says set, inc, dec, it's likely to be the cruise control

timing belt is said to go a litle further. i'd change it if i was on

80k miles
Reply to
Marc

My HDI 406 is also 1999 and the book says timing belt renewal is at 72,000 miles. I suggest you have it done now. With regard to 110 or 90, my registration document states that the car is HDI110. With later vehicles that actually affects the amount of Road Tax you pay (110 is cheaper) so it has to be there.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Thanks for comments, the log book just states 406 exec estate, petrol.

the bottom left stalk just has an arrow pointing up and one pointin down any ideas

-- richard

----------------------------------------------------------------------- richardB's Profile:

this thread:

richardB

Seeing as the HDi engines are Diesel, then I don't think yours is one :)

You need an owner's manual - go and order one from your local Peugeot dealer, or buy one on eBay.

Reply to
Nom

Cruise control on a 2004 model.

Cheers

Steve E. Whitley Bay, North East England Tyneside & Northumberland Local History Group at:

For photographs of the Newcastle Upon Tyne area go to:
"Geordie goes beyond mere geography and is a quality of heart"

Reply to
Steve E.

OK, first, there should be a switch to the right of the steering wheel next to the headlight adjuster. This should be on.

Next drive at 20mph or above, push the bottom left hand stalk down and if you have cruise control it will keep the speed more or less constant if you take your foot off the accelerator pedal.

If that works you have cruise control. To cancel it, pull that stick towards you or apply the brake pedal. When driving along, if you push the stick up slowly, it will cruise the car at the previously stored setting, if you push it up quickly it will cruise at the speed you are doing when you do that. Pushing the stick down will always select the current speed.

If you don't cancel the cruise control, you can use the accelerator pedal to increase your speed and drive normally but if you let the car slow down, without touching the brake pedal, the cruise control will kick in at it's memorised speed which is useful but disconcerting if you aren't aware of this function.

I find it very useful when driving through 30 or 40mph limit zones if there is no traffic around as you don't have to keep watching the speedo especially if there are speed cameras about.

Good luck.

Reply to
Robin Bendall