406 External Temperature Gauge and Fuse for AC clutch

Hello Folks, I'm looking to try to locate two items on my 2000 model year, Peugeot 406 HDI Estate.

Item #1: Where is the external temperature sensor located? I've been told that it's in one of the exterior door mirrors but I'm not convinced. I belive that it's somewhere near to the engine compartment because the temperature reads normally as expected before starting the car but then after a number of minutes driving, the temperature begins to increase and generally arrives about 10 to 15 degrees C higher thatn the actual temperature outside?

Item #2: The AC is not working. I'm hoping that it's a simple electrical fault, either a connection or fuse that I can change and/or repair. I wish to know what fuses and where are they located that are associated to any parts of the AC system. My main suspicion is that the AC is not engaging at all when activated from the control panel and that the pump never engages as the clutch for the AC is never engaging. Any other ideas?

Reply to
timfrommillstreet

I don't have a clue where the outside sensor is, is it important?? The aircon has a low gas pressure sensor (somewhere ;-) which stops the clutch engaging when the gas gets low.. it's to save the compressor from damage. Or that's always been the cause on the aircons I've had that problem with. If you read this group at the beginning of summer there's usually quite a few of these requests, yours seems a little out of the ordinary being at the beginning of winter(?)

rgds Djimbo

Reply to
djimbo

The out side sensor is located in the near side mirror.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

Thanks for the help on the location of the sensor gauge. I guess it's woth a look. Does anyone know why the gauge would read accurately initially and then increase to a higher than expected temperature after a while of driving?

Reply to
timfrommillstreet

Thanks Djimbo for the reply. I just got the car a couple of months ago and haven't had the opportunity with a job change to follow up on the AC until now Decided to begin to take a look at it last week. I've already checked and refilled the gas just a little - it was OK. I believe that the problem is more of a mechanical or electrical nature but that the coolant fluid is OK and that it's not leaking.

Reply to
timfrommillstreet

Reply to
Michael Roche

Hey, you ask a question, then don't believe the answer. The sensor IS in the nearside mirror, as in all Peugeots, and Citroens. If you look at the bottom of the casing, near the door, you will see a little dome. This is the sensor. They do all sorts of things when they go faulty.

Reply to
Brian