406 gearbox noise

I have a 406 hdi 110 se estate. in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear the gearbox whines. after about 10 miles it gets worse. It is most noticable in

4th gear at about 28-30mph. Peugeot garage told me its normal for 406 and 306 but I dont believe that. This car is 12 months old and has only done 8000 miles. Can anybody give me any advice. The car still has over 2 years manufacturers warranty on it.

Thanks

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Take it back to the garage under warranty.

Reply to
Brian Horsley

Thanks for the comments.

The garage says its normal. Can I take it that it is not. I also have a 405 which I have had for years and that does not do it.

What would you suggest that I say to the garage if they insist that it is okay. When I took it in, 2 mechanics drove it and both said they could not fault the gearbox. Presonally it frustrates the hell out of me but my wife says I am being too fussy.

Please comment, I need to get this sorted.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

I just ignore comments like these, we all have bad days!

Just to explain my problem a bit better:-

The car had done 6000 miles when I got it but I didn't notice the noise on the test drives. I have only had the car for a couple of months. Whilst accelerating the noise cannot be heard. The noise can be heard when.

  1. In 5th on the motorway at 70. Only slightly though.
  2. In 3rd when coming down from 30ish to 25ish.
  3. Most noticable, When coming down from 40ish to anything below
32ish. And considering I drive mostly in 4th ie on the town roads then I get it quite alot especially at times when approaching traffic lights etc. Foot off pedal then down into 3rd etc etc. whine whine....

The garage said they are aware of the symtoms and say its completely normal. They even say they have stripped down and rebuilt gearbox's replacing all the relevant bits and the boxes still get the noise.

I just can't accept that this is normal. My 405 gearbox is on 110,000 miles and its quiter than my 406.

The reason for posting on this group was to see other people have had the same problem. Before I posted I looked back quite a way and I couldn't find any messages about noisy boxes on a 406.

I appreciate any help ro advice any body can give.

Many Thanks

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

One thing you could do Paul is ask the garage if you can drive another 406, so you can compare them. If they haven't got one, go to another garage to test drive one. At least then you'll be able to confirm that the noise isn't normal,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

"Neil D" top posted in message news:40a8783c$0$20513$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com...

Which of course it isn't.

406 Gearboxes aren't supposed to whine under those circumstances. Or to be more specific the two I've owned and the three or four others I've driven on test drives didn't. Must be the way you're driving it ;-)

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Maninov

Hi Rick,

In my last post in point 3, I explained how I am driving it when the noise occurs.

Would you not consider that normal driving behaviour? I drive round at between 30 and 40 in 4th and the noise occurs. I thought that was normal.

Either way, you say that it shouldn't whine so even if it was my driving habits then it still should not make the noise. And like I said my 405 doesn't do it.

I thank you for all your comments. Nobody has yet said that theirs has whined so I am going to conclude theres something wrong with it. Also there are no other posts that I can find with this sort of problem.

Kind Regards

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Looks like u missed this bit. - ;-) ref. prev. post on the subject. Best of luck getting em to sort it.

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Maninov