406 HDI gear box problem 2003 reg

I developed a problem with the gearbox on my 406 HDI. Every now and again it would not go from 3rd gear into 4th. If you tried to force it in it would just grind the gears so I?d have to put it into 5th instead. I put the car into our local garage who took the gear box off and sent it to a transmissions repairs unit. They diagnosed the problem as the synchromesh,which they renewed.I also asked the garage to put in a new clutch. On picking the car up and £700 lighter in my pocket, I found that I now had a gear box that was very notchy and felt catchy throught all the gears. It sometimes wouldn?t go into 1st gear from neutral unless I put it into 2nd gear first and then into

1st. It then started not going into 4th gear again. The garage done the whole job again and to my surprise, the transmissions place said they couldn?t find anything wrong in the gear box, but they?d replaced the bits that could cause these symptoms. I got the car back and yet again, a very catchy notchy gear change with all usual problems. The car is currentlt back at the garage and the mechanic is driving it for few days to get some idea of whats the cause. Does anyone have any ideas? does the 406 have a very very catchy notchy gear change, which is what they tried to palm me off with? and has anyone any ideas about it not going into 4th gear from time to time? many thanks,john
Reply to
bozaedwards

Occasionally I find that, when I am driving my wife's 306 the gearbox gets "notchy" and it dislikes going into some gears. This is cured by moving the rug back from under the clutch pedal. I am not saying that your rug is rucked under your pedal stopping it going down fully but it could indicate a problem with your new clutch. Possibly it is sticking or (assuming the design is as I remember they used to be) the front shaft seizing in its bearing in the flywheel boss.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

In my experience, the PSA 5 speed box is very smooth in operation. I would also suspect the clutch, or the clutch operating hydraulics.

Reply to
Brian

If this problem has developed since your new clutch fitment then logic says its looking like a prob with that.It sounds like they have replaced 3rd/4th syncro EVEN if they didn't get ALL the swarf out of the gearbox ,(from the old syncro etc..) you've gotta be pretty unlucky for it to get in the rest of the syncros/ gears etc.... !!!!! like i say sounds like poss clutch ... all the best mark

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

I had forgotten the clutch was hydraulically actuated. Sounds like the system could be leaky or a seal is knackered.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Just seems strange, that all of a sudden after a new clutch and box repair it could all of a sudden develop a hydraulic prob

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

But they do happen, and with unnerving regularity. Presumably also the hydraulic system would at the very least have been wrenched about a bit during the repair.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

i agree keith they do happen ,the slave cylinder should have just been moves away without breaking into the circuit to remove.. mark

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com