406 HDI Key/Lock Problem

Site search - Keyword or question:

Technical matters > Peugeot 406 HDI Key not working Thread Author: walter plinge Replies: 0

View Flat

Peugeot 406 HDI Key not working - walter plinge new Thu 30 Nov 06

15:05

Hi, I have two keys for my 2000 'x' 406 HDI. One of these is a remote key which works fine, the other a non-remote key. Locking and Unlocking the car is fine using the remote, but both keys, when used manually, are getting harder and harder to lock or unlock the car. Takes a few minutes of 'wiggling' to get the key to turn. Also, key sometimes turns around and around in lock without engaging mechanism. This is happening to both doors! Any advice / clues as to what might be the problem?

Also, I am looking at getting a new (second hand) remote key fob from ebay which I intend to program to my car. This means that I will have three keys! Can I replace the metal key part on the remote fob that I intend to buy with my non-remote metal key. I am getting rather confused with what I can and can't do with a second hand remote key fob.

Lastly, I asked my local pug dealership haw much a new remote key would be and they said =A3100. I have the original credit card sized card which I believe has the details on, and I am astounded at how much a new key is. Does =A3100 sound right?

wally
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Give ALL locks a good dose of WD40 and then, operate repeatedly for a couple of minutes. A nice "keep it simple solution" is always best, when available. Happy motoring, Wally.

[...]

Lastly, I asked my local pug dealership haw much a new remote key would be and they said £100. I have the original credit card sized card which I believe has the details on, and I am astounded at how much a new key is. Does £100 sound right?

W.Lindsay

Same prob here, and tried WD40 at the weekend. Unlocking was stiff and is now easy, but locking is still so stiff/jammed I'm worried about breaking something if I try any harder. Just before this started the key would occasionally go round and round one way. The solution then was to turn it the way you didn't want it to go then back again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges