406 - how long do they last?

This is my third Peugeot - I had a 504 and a 505 before my current

406. I kept each of them for a long, long time.

My 406 SV had its cam belt replaced recently - it has 127k kms up and is going fine.

But I wonder how things will go when I reach 200k, 300k.

I did a search of the group and found that posts to the group, by model, were as follows:

504 273 posts. 505 169 posts 405 5000 posts 406 7480 posts 306 14700 posts 307 2020 posts

This partially confirms my impression that the 406 is the most frequently mentioned model (except that there are twice as many for the 306!).

Anyway, there must be some 406s out there which have piled up far more kms than I have and it would be interesting to learn how they are going and what sort of problems arise.

Also experience with other models may be relevant - a Peugeot is a Peugeot.

Reply to
Ken

My 406 petrol has 143,000 miles on it. That's ~230,100km.

It's had the cambelt replaced twice - once at 75k and again at 140k.

It needed a new exhaust (everything after the cat) at 135k, and a new exhaust gasket where the cat downpipe comes off the exhuast manifold at

143k.

There's been some suspension work needed.

The engine still fires up first spark, all the electrics work just dandy (Asides from the RCL being a little unreliable) and there's no reason I can see why it won't carry on all the way to 200,000 miles (320k Km) or more.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

I have owned my current 406 4 cylinder sedan bought new in late 1997. The 406 has always been dealer serviced at 10,000 km intervals. This car has now done 275,000 km and nearing 10 years old. Only problems have been:

  1. CAT converter replacement when about 3 years old due to innards rattling (quite costly here in Aust) no problems with its replacement.
  2. Faulty MAP sensor (mysterious engine cut-outs) dealer took a long time to diagnose. No further problems.
  3. The apparently common problem with the ventilation system recirculation flap control motor/gearbox. Too hard and costly to fix so I ignore it.
  4. The cruise control system stopped operating recently. Local auto electrician tells me this is a common problem (for Peugeots) and requires replacement of the whole pump/valve assembly for around Aus00. Luckily, I was able to fix this one myself.

Overall, and despite the problems mentioned above, I would rate the

406 as the best and most reliable of the three Peugoets I have owned. It is certainly the quietest and most comfortable. The car still drives well and still has that tight new car feel.

I previously owned a 504 for 10 years did around 250,000 miles. Apart from the occasional head gasket replacement and a lot of roadside stoppages with electrical (ignition) problems, I had few other problems.

Replaced the 504 with a new 505 sedan and it had done 430,000 km (in

15 years) when I traded it on the 406. Had one head gasket replacement but few other issues other than occasional need for re-machining the front disks.
Reply to
Bob Morrison

Your Peugeot history: 'Replaced the 504 with a new 505 sedan and it had done 430,000 km (in 15 years) when I traded it on the 406' is very similar to mine.

The only significant repair my 406 has needed was the replacement of the water pump and both fan motors about the time of the cam belt replacement. The engine cooling had been erratic - I was sceptical about the scope/nature of the fix but I must say it cured the problem. The only bother I had with my 504 was blockages into the carb - at least I could fix these myself. The 505 required an engine re-build early - some design fault in the wet sleeve seals. Of the three, I find the 406 is the best - the extra power of the SV is great

- neither the 504 or the 505 had much get up go (though the 504 used to achieve far better point to point times than the 50% more powerful Holden which it replaced). Of course there is the big worry with all current vehicles compared with the 504s q 505s - that you cannot fix much yourself. I understood every link in the older power trains and the electrics. Now it is one big black box. The good news is that they rarely seem to go wrong. I find myself very relaxed about even expensive repairs when a vehicle has given long service and looks like continuing to do so. The economics, compared with replacement, are obvious and I tend to look at lifetime costs. Also any new vehicle introduces the possibility of early problems. My 406 had been the dealer's personal vehicle for six months or so which got around this risk neatly. When my 406 is up to about 250k I might check what he is driving at the moment!

Reply to
Ken

Your Peugeot experience is similar to mine: 'Replaced the 504 with a new 505 sedan and it had done 430,000 km (in

15 years) when I traded it on the 406.' I passed my 505 to one of my offspring (I wish I had done the same with the 504 which I traded in on the 505).

The only trouble I have had with the 406, apart from some early immobilizer hiccups) was replacement of both fan motors and the water pump at 120k to deal with overheating. I had my doubts about the rather drastic nature of this fix but it worked. And a subsequent poster pointed out that it was probably sound mechanics to replace both motors if one had gone.

The 504 was trouble-free, apart from petrol blockages into the carb - and I could easily fix these myself. The 505, apart from a complete engine re-build early (to overcome a design fault in the wet cylinder seals) was OK - and, again, there was nothing it its mechanics or electrics which I did not understand.

Now my 406SV is a mobile black box - fortunately very reliable. But there must be many vehicles of most makes towed these days when all they need is a fuse or relay replaced. The extra herbs in the 406 SVis good - neither the 504 or 505 were very lively. Yet the 504 consistently achieved much better point-to-point times over mountain roads than the vehicle it replaced - a Hoden with about 60% more HP. The Pug seemed to fly. I am happy with the driving comfort of the 406, especially the motorised seat/mirror and the way it stores two settings for the drivers seat, but I think the vehicle which fitted me best was the 504 despite its uniquely hard seats. After the big station wagon which it replaced, driving the 504 from our home to our coast place 300 miles away became fun. That's when I became hooked on Peugeots.

Thanks Bob and John - I'll delay thinking about replacement until the

408.
Reply to
Ken