406 Newbie

Hello. I have just bought a 406 diesel 110 on a 02 plate. Lovely car but I need 2 month course on what everything does. For example when I switch on, the air con light comes on, so I switch it off, is this right or should I leave it alone, can't find anything in the Manuel about it. The sat nav is a bit of a disappointment having used a Tom Tom Go for a few years, I find the directions a bit hit and miss, I bought a new disc ( £94.00 ) but not much improvement. But generally speaking, the car is great. Fuel consumption is amazing, done 3 tank tests 38, 41, and 39, I would never have believed it. If someone could advise about the air con I would be grateful.

Thank you

Bryan ( Winchester UK )

Reply to
Zoab

The aircon is apparently 'always on'. Assuming your car also has climate control, the aircon is used intermittently to cool the car whe that is necessary. It isn't necessary to turn this off, as regular use of the aircon on any car is actually recommended to avoid the problem of smell which can otherwise arise after a winter lay-off. Re. the SatNav, I'd never rely on a manufacturers version - the TomTom software is always going to be vastly superior, simply because TomTom focus on producing a good product, whereas Peugeot only throw it in as a "luxury extra" - it isn't in their interest to do a lot of research on it.

Reply to
Fin

Many thanks Fin, so I will in future leave the air con alone.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

The fuel consumption sounds low actually. I run a spreadsheet for my fuel and my '99 406 HDI 110, which I had from new, has always averaged 45 - 46 mpg even now with 110,000 miles on the clock and the manual aircon always kept on. It is a manual gearbox, I believe automatics are thirstier.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message news:ds4l89$sug$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Thanks for that Keith, I think maybe the short journeys I do are keeping the fuel consumption lower than yours, I have to do a trip to Liverpool next week, mostly motorway from Winchester, so I will be interested to see what the consumption is on that trip. However my last car was a Toyota 3 ltr V6 so you will guess that any fuel consumption over 20 is a bonus.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

I can well believe that. My car was my company car so did long trips but since the car and I retired at the end of 2002 my journeys are mainly short with the occasional (once a month or so) one of around 100 miles. The consumption seems to be pretty constant though. I do see variations between tankfulls but the overall average remains pretty well unchanged.

Keith Willcocks

Reply to
Keith Willcocks