406 running rough

Hi Folks, I have an intermittent problem I hope you can help me with. I own a Peugeot 406 2.0 litre twin cam 1998 model. Every now and then about once a week the car runs rough and the engine management light comes on. It usually happens when cruising at 60 or 70 mph but sometimes happens at different speeds. It feels as though all four cylinders cut out for a second or so. The car also misfires. If I stop during these 'rough' periods the engine refuses to tick over and cuts out. I can get the management light to go out by accelerating if the fault occurs whilst cruising. The fault is not consistent and can disappear for a few weeks or reappear every other day. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Robbiemac

Check your bobine...... When the car misfires it's usualy the ignition. Was having a same kind of problem.

Greetz Aat

"Robbiemac" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Aat van den Bos

MAF sensor? If the warning light is coming on then it should show in the ECU diagnostics. I've got a 406 with the HPi (low emission 2.0L petrol) engine and had a lot of trouble with this, although once it came on, the engine management light usually stayed on. Mine was usually OK on steady cruising, but misfired/hesitated a lot under acceleration - pulling out of junctions became a nightmare.

Reply to
Rory

Make that a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor - about £35 from your friendly Pug dealer - fit it yourself.

About to do mine on my 1.8 petrol.....

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Again, this sounds very much like a problem with the MAP sensor that I had on my 1998 vintage 2.0 coupe a few weeks ago. Do you notice the problem when cruising and the gradient changes slightly? You may also find it load dependent. I tried for ages to correlate the symptoms with what the car was doing and the correlation was most confusing till it dawned on me to think in terms of inlet manifold vacuum.

My advice is to pay and get the code read out of the computer and if it is a MAP sensor then replace it yourself. I have posted an article on my similar issue a week ago. Changing the sensor cost

Reply to
Mike H

Again, this sounds very much like a problem with the MAP sensor that I had on my 1998 vintage 2.0 coupe a few weeks ago. Do you notice the problem when cruising and the gradient changes slightly? You may also find it load dependent. I tried for ages to correlate the symptoms with what the car was doing and the correlation was most confusing till it dawned on me to think in terms of inlet manifold vacuum.

My advice is to pay and get the code read out of the computer and if it is a MAP sensor then replace it yourself. I have posted an article on my similar issue a week ago. Changing the sensor cost

Reply to
Mike H

First thanks for all advice. Been working away the last couple of days and it just so happened a mate of a mate has a injection/ignition business. Having talked to the guru he reckons that it is the spark generator or words to that effect. He also asked if I had changed the plugs. I have in fact changed the plugs shortly before I had this problem. I took out twin electrode plugs and replaced them with single electrode plugs as recommended by the NGK bible. In desperation I have put the old plugs back in just to see what, if anything happens. Will post again with results. Just of interest my car has no leads or distributor just what looks like cows udders from a plastic plate. The guru also stated that the MAP sensor would not give me the faults I have. In reply to Mike I can get the car to run smoothly by accelerating, this also puts the engine management light out. But as soon as I try to cruise it misfires again. Was the worst it's been on the journey home tonight so I am hoping the plugs cures the problem! Fingers crossed. Thanks again. Robbiemac

Reply to
Robbiemac

Hi All,

I have a very similar problem. I have a 1997 2.0 406 Auto and the problem is very similar in terms of the "MAP" light coming on and the car cutting out (orange light with engine - i think!)

The car mainly cuts out when you are sitting in traffic or have constantly stop and started the car and then sitting in traffic. When the car is moving on the moterway it is fine....

Hope this make sense - Any ideas/sugestions/hints on resolving problem welcome.

Thanks in advance... nicrnp

Reply to
Nicrnp

As I understand it the engine management system stores any error codes

- even when the watning light does not come on. We had odd problems once and the diagnostics were able to read codes, they made the necessary fixes (in that case a temperature sensor as I recall) and the problem disappeared.

On the other hand I have worked miracles simply by changing spark plugs - not in a Peugeot but in things like ride-on mowers. The most remarkable experience I had was a pump with a Honda motor. Suddenly, while apparently running OK, it did not have quite enough herbs to get the water to the top of the hill. It was simply a faulty spark plug!

Reply to
ken kerrison

I have had the same problem with mine. Had the 'puter read and it came up with nothing! The problem is till here and still intermittent, not occuring at all when the guy came to read it so no suggestions from him.

Reply to
sue palmer

Hi All,

Had a diagnostics check done by Peugeot today - needs the MAP sensor replacing and also the oxygen sensor.

Hope this helps? All I need to work out now is how to change these sensors

- any hints/tips?

Cheers

Reply to
Nicrnp

Well a quick update... Changed plugs and car is a whole let better. Done about five hundred miles and it only misfired a couple of times and only once did engine management light come on. Moral of story is make sure the correct plugs are fitted and also bear in mind the guru's quote that my particular model is fussy about the type and make of plugs fitted. I would definitely steer clear of single electrode plugs. Anyone know of an internet supplier of Equem plugs? Problem not solved altogether but much much better. Thanks again for all your input.

Reply to
Robbiemac