406 Saloon Rear Wiper

I was toddling along in my S reg 406 saloon this morning when I came up behind a P reg 406 saloon. I was surprised to see that it had a rear wash wipe that was fitted through the bottom of the rear screen. I was just curious whether this was something that would have been fitted after market or was it an option on the early 406 saloons? Anyone know?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I'd love one on my T reg 406.

It's surprising the difference not having one makes.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

Tell me about it!!

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

It was an original factory fitting on certain 406 models - I think I've only ever seen about 4 or 5. Not sure which models though

Reply to
Peter

That's interesting. I have never understood the logic of fitting them on hatches and estates but not saloons. The rain falls on them in exactly the same way. It may swirl differently because of the different body shape but you still can't see out the window.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Why have them in the first place ,i dont drive out my rear screen i use my front screen also my mirrors.

Reply to
Chris

I was taught to drive using all three mirrors.

I was also taught that when reversing, one should twist round slightly and peer out of the back window in order to see where you're putting the car. However you look at it, being able to see clearly through the back window means you have a greater chance of being able to see what's around you, and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident. Wing mirrors alone leave a rather unpleasant blind spot that could easily contain a motorbike.

When my rear window is gunked up (as it currently is with tree sap) it takes longer to see who's behind me before I manouvre. I'll glance at the rear view mirror and think "Damn, I really ought to get around to washing that soon!" then have to double-check in the wing mirrors. The view isn't totally obscured, but water, sap or whatever (which would have been cleared on my Mondeo by a quick blast of the rear jet and a couple of wipes) on the rear screen means you don't have the immediacy of a quick glance.

Half seconds can mean the difference between someone going into the back of you and not.

I'd like a rear wiper on my 406 and I'd be very willing to pay for it.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

Agreed, when I took my test (and AA men still saluted you) the test papers said that the rear view mirror should be used. You were advised by your instructor to move your head so that the examiner could be sure the mirror was being looked at. At that time (late 1950's), other than the expensive models, cars were not provided with wing mirrors. They were something you bought in Woolworth's or Halford's and fitted yourself along with indicators and screen washers. None of these items were a legal requirement, just a luxury. Come to think of it, even heaters (that used a shroud round part of the radiator to gather warm air) and demisters (an electric element mounted on an ali strip and stuck on with suction cups) were after market luxuries as well. Stop me now or I'll bang on about starting handles!!!

Reply to
Keith Willcocks