406 sedan rocker cover oil leak problem

My local garage have been VERY good, but this one has them stumped. A 406 sedan, the rocker cover did have an oil leak. During a recent service and recent clean up I said "fix the oil leak" They "fixed" the oil leak. It lasted a day, sent it back and more sealent. Lasted 2 days. Now it's back. Not alot, but still should not be happening. There is apparently no gasket for the rocker cover for my 406.

Any thoughts are appriciated.

Cheers, Tel

Reply to
Tel69

Easiest way is to cast a silicone gasket in situ.

Clean the rocker cover sealing face of all oil using petrol or other solvent. Put a film of oil on the mating face. Use a reputable (e.g. hermatite orange in UK) silicone liquid gasket compound and place a layer on the rocker box cover. Fit the cover enough to locate it but don't tighten it. Allow the gasket to cure. Lift off the cover to inspect the surface, filling in any gaps. Fit the cover as normal.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks Bob, I'll pass on the info.

Reply to
Tel69

Is it possible to see oil trails from the rocker cover or is there a general film over the whole area. I ask because I have, over the years, had a number of oil leaks in different cars that gave every impression that it must be from the rocker box but, in every case, turned out to be the oil pressure switch leaking.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Even the filler cap can cause a leak not fitting

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for replying tinkerer,

Well it's going back in for it's third attempt at fixing this. (This time with Bobs instructions) There is a trail coming from the rocker cover (Between the first and second attempt at fixing this the trail moved). Before the first attempt it was not easily visbile until the engine was steam cleaned,

Reply to
Terry Summers

Thanks Chris, The filler cap has been checked and it's sealing properly.

Reply to
Terry Summers

Ah, well, If there's a trail then that pretty well clinches it. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Reply to
Tinkerer

so its him thats leaveing all the oil on the roads lol lol

Reply to
Chris

I'm trying to stop my own little BP thing from happening. LOL!

Reply to
Terry Summers

Reply to
Iain Gore