406 stereo upgrade...

Just for Information if anybody is interested in a small sound upgrade on there 406 estate or has any tips of there own.

I could barely hear fleetwood mac over the sound of the diesel engine :)

I bought an adapter for my 406 estate from Halfords to make a Kenwood single CD head unit I already had fit my 406 diesel, £35 or so (rip off, but necessary).

I also purchased two sets of fairly cheap replacement speakers, one set of

10cm for the rear and a set of 16.5cm for the front, both standard two way - 25 and 30watt rms respectively. (Originals are 15watt) The speakers are SONY, they are made for OEM replacement, so almost fitted straight in.

The system sounds much better than the original, although I did have a little trouble getting the 10cm speakers in the boot, as the magnet is a little bigger. I ended up creating a 5mm rubber gasket using a silicon seal gun and paper!!!, the original grills fit straight over, with no problems though.

It cost about £84 in total because I already had the head unit, but it sounds like a £300 upgrade.

Does anybody know of a device to make the stalk control on the steering column work a kenwood head unit, or is it SONY only?

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

hi yes ther is a device to make the stalk control on the steering column work a kenwood its called a remote control interface cable take alook at

blackknight

hi, i've just bought a 406 and a fascia adapdor from halfords but cannot figure out how to get the integrated stereo out without snapping something. do i need a special tool? any assistance would be gratefully apprecieted. cheers!

Reply to
seather

Errr, can't remember..... I think I used some 'scouse keys' - Stereo removal keys, available for peanuts from Halfrauds.

I think they all have standard DIN electrical connections.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

cheers. :o) i'll go and have a look. thanks for your help.

Reply to
seather

I wasn't aware that halfords sold 406's anyway :)

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy