406 - Stuck Rear Door

I seem to remember seeing this problem on here before but cannot now find anything about it. The rear N/S door on my 1999 406 remains locked irrespective of whether the rest of the doors are locked or unlocked. When pressing the plip to unlock you can hear the mechanism moving but now't happens. This occurred about four years ago but quickly righted itself. This time however it does not seem so inclined. It is definitely locked, not just stuck. Any thoughts anyone?

Reply to
Keith W

Sorry Keith i have been looking back and cant find any thing about doors.it might be a case of keep trying to unlock it and pulling the door at same time

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for looking. I did find a couple of references to it but nobody seemed to have come up with an answer. The problem appears to be that the lock is not releasing, certainly the inner and outer handles react exactly as when locked and the locking lever has less tension behind it as if the linkage is remaining in the locked position. I suspect that the only way around it will be to try and remove the inner door panel while the door is closed. Obviously I can remove the seat squab to make more room, and the seat back can be folded forward as necessary, but it will still be pretty difficult. Maybe I can persuade my son-in-law that he is more agile than me ;o)

Reply to
Keith W

Fixed, at least for the moment. Here are the details for anyone else with similar problems.

It is possible to get the panel off with the door closed, although a bit strenuous. Having said that, I avoided the strenuous bit.

Haynes is accurate in this case. You pull off the window winder (mine has manual rear windows) and then remove the front and rear trim securing screws from the ends of the grab handle. The rear one is under a cover. Note that the rear one drops inside the panel if you are unlucky. This is not a problem if you are removing the panel, but if you are replacing it....!

Anyway, they came out. Haynes then says remove the surround from the door opening handle and then prise the bottom of the panel away from the door. This will pull out the retaining pins and you then manoeuvre the panel up and off. That would have been the strenuous bit. In the event, I pulled on the door opening handle to make it easier to remove the surround and - - - the bloody door opened - it had cured itself again like last time. Anyway, I removed the panel, carefully removed the inner insulation sheet as far as necessary and gave all the door opening and locking components a good lubricating with silicone lubricant. At this moment it is all working fine again but for how long.....?

Reply to
Keith W

If you sprayed that silicone spray around in that door it will last for ages.had the same on my window switches one min they would work next time they did not work a little spray with silicone and hey presto.

Reply to
Chris

My fingers are crossed ;o)

Reply to