406 Stuck Rear Door (Again)

I posted back in September when this first happened but it cleared itself. It has now happened again and whilst I now know the cause I am stuck as to a fix.

Last Thursday I parked in the Eurotunnel Terminal in France with cases of wine piled on the back seat so, for added security, as well as locking the car I pressed the smaller button to deadlock it so that even if a window was broken the doors would not open. Since then the rear N/S door remains deadlocked. When the car is unlocked the motor can be heard moving in the door along with a satisfying clunk as the lock lever moves to the unlock position. However both inside and external handles remain as if it were still locked.

I have managed to remove the inside panel and can see and touch the lock and see all the linkages from the handles working but I am stumped as to where to go from here. Has anybody had dealings with one of these locks and know how to release it? The cure after that is to never use the deadlock facility, but I have to get the door open first.

Reply to
Keith W

Chris

That would be too easy Chris (wish it was the answer though). Child lock would only disable the inside handle, this has knackered the lot. Both handles, interior and exterior, are light as if not engaging with anything, which is exactly how they are when the door is locked. At the weekend I might try taking out the lock on the other rear door so that I can get more idea about how it works.

I was hoping Nigel might pick up on this thread as he is sure to have had dealings with locks at some point.

Reply to
Keith W

No, that only locks the inside handle.

What Keith has is a duff linkage between the deadlock motor and the mechanism.

As for how to fix it I too am clueless as the last time I had locking problems was on a 205 and it didn't have deadlocks.

Reply to
Phil Cook