406 tax band

Can anyone who has a 2003 (ish) 90hp 2.0 hdi have a look on their log book and see what the CO2 emission is please. Mine says 151 but wifes picasso with the same engine is less so she is paying less tax!

Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

just bought a hdi 90 406 today it says 151 gm/km. tax £140/year

i bought a picasso 1.8 in 2001 and it was less tax than my wife's then 306

1.8.

previously had a 406 se 110 which was £110 tax per year

better than my other car now, 407 coupe 2.7 hdi. tax £300 /year or wifes now

307cc 2.0 petrol £300/year
Reply to
%%stu%%

Mines a 110bhp Hdi but because its a 1999 Reg it cost me £175 a year, how unfair is that. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

So both of those "sensible" cars (including the fairly small 307cc) cost £95 more a year to tax than my 3.2L V8 Jaguar XJ, and about £110 more than my wife's 3.3L V6 Grand Voyager (that is £15 cheaper IIRC because it also has an LPG conversion), because whilst both ours are reasonably new, they are prior to some arbitrary cut-off date.

It's all a bit silly.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

the road tax is set by gm/km as declared by manf rather than engine size.

But there is more than road tax to running costs. My 407 costs £159 servicing every 20k/2 years. the 406 is £180 every 12k/2 years. The 307 is £190 every 20k/2 years. so for 60k miles the 407 is cheaper than the 406. then again tyres are more expensive and don't last as long on the 407, i've just paid £310 for 2 after 18k.

I did a training course 2 years ago where the instructor had an x (s?) type jag and assured me it had cost him £900 to have his spark plugs changed by a mainline jag dealer.

we haven't factored in depreciation, insurance , will it fit in the garage/drive etc..

ultimately what do you enjoy driving and what's your budget, without unlimited funds there's a tradeoff? My company gives me an allowance, I've made my choice and am happy.

stu

Reply to
%%stu%%

I don't disagree with anything you say (though the spark plug change sounds expensive - a 10K service on my XJ at the local main dealer normally sees change from £200, and that includes 8L of synthetic oil which would cost me £90 from Halfords!).

I was really saying that the "green" tax regime is silly. The difference in tax is nothing compared to the other running costs, therefore does nothing except take more money for the treasury which they justify by waving the environmental flag. It certainly isn't enough to dissuade people from owning larger or sportier cars (if you can afford

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

All I was getting at is wifes Picasso is 147gm/kg my 406 is 151 gm/kg. Both cars have the same 90hp engine. That is what it says on the log book. However in the handbook for mine is says 148 g/km. I was wondering if Im being charged too much tax?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Richard , I have just been having a look on DVLA's web site and the change over point in tax bracket (cost) is 150 for band C then from 151 is band D the following link should give you all the info you need, hope it helps

Best of luck GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Don't forget that the weight of the vehicle also affects the actual CO2 production. This is why the 110 is actually more efficient in the heavier

406.
Reply to
Brian