406 Throttle cable and water pump

Hi.

1999 406 2.0 petrol, unsure which engine code.

I have some free play in the throttle cable at the engine end. The cable disappears through some bracket & attaches to cam thing. I can see the spring clip adjuster thing on the ribbed bit of the cable sleeve, which is right at the end. I still have 10mm of play. The rubber grommet thing that the clip rests against is still there, and I have currently rigged up a bodge to take up the slack.

Is my cable stretching, or has someone put the wrong one on at sometime ?

also, how can you stop the water pump from squealing ? It quietens down after engine has warmed up, but the noise goes right through me until then ?

Thanks in advance

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Is it the water-pump bearing, or the belt tension? Check that the belt tension is ok first.

Reply to
John Ricketts

Its the pump rather than the belt, it squeaks rather than squeal, if you know what I mean...

Reply to
Juper Wort

You can get a lubricant to add to the coolant I think, although never used it.

Reply to
John Ricketts

Thanks. I shall have a search, failing that, GSF do new pumps for 23 quid or so

"John Ricketts" You can get a lubricant to add to the coolant I think, although never used

Reply to
Juper Wort