406 V6 Auto changing gears at slow speeds

In addition to my other post re the gearbox performance, there is another issue. When slowing down to a slow speed and then starting to accelerate again, often I time this acceleration to coincide with the gearbox's changing, resulting in a nasty clunk. That is, just as it selects a lower gear as the car slows, I tell it to accelerate. The clunk is awful! I have a warranty on the car but don't want to be sold a load of flannel (e.g "That's normal.") by the service agent.

Reply to
anvil

I'm guessing you've never driven an automatic before ?

:)

Reply to
Nom

Yes I have. Is this typical of automatics. Seems hard to imagine that prestige motors would not have a way of avoiding this. I may be oversensitive, but would like to know if others experience this from time to time.

Reply to
anvil

They do - if you buy a Beemer or a Jag or similar, then you'll find the AutoBox to be quite a lot better than Peugeot's. The trouble is, Pug aren't prestige manufacturer - their AutoBoxes aren't great.

Unless it's clunking *really* heavily (ie, braking traction on a damp surface etc. ) then there's nothing to worry about. It's perfectly possible to drive it smoothly - you'll soon learn to drive around it's foibles :)

Reply to
Nom

I have had thesame engine/trans combination for quite a few years and I, and several others, have posted about odd behaviour of the box - nothing fatal nor even very disturbing - just irritating. One theory is that it arises from teh abilit8y of the box to 'learn' from the user. Apart from the danger of aplit personality where there is more than one user, I am not sure what this means.

I have just returned from a long journey involving both freeway and alpine motoring. The shift was fine on the freeways and in the city but behaved oddly in mountainous territory. The interaction between the auto and the cruise control is also odd at times - suddently taking off near the top of a hill - dropping doen a notch and taking off like a rocket!

You learn to tolerate it but you never really get used to it.

There was an uncomfirmed report that Peugeot has issued a software update which could be loaded into the transmission. Maybe just a myth.

Reply to
Ken

Thanks Ken and Nom I love the car, and being used to 1200cc for years, 3 litre has plenty of poke for me, and I'll live with it's foibles! Must check out the software thing!

Reply to
anvil