406 V6 clunk or knock mystery

When I start to accelerate, either from a standstill or after deceleration, there is a quiet, but obvious soft single 'clunk' or knock from the suspension or possibly drive gear. It can repeat as the gear box changes down during lower speed braking. It doesn't appear to be an engine noise. It never varies in loudness or number of 'clunks', always one, and always at initial acceleration (whether gentle or otherwise) as well as when I take my foot off the gas. I am wondering if it could be a suspension/engine mount or a drive gear issue. The performance of the car is not affected. It's not loud enough for passengers to say 'what's that?' Anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

Reply to
anvil

This is possibly way off but when the Cat on mine split at the front end a few weeks back, what you describe is exactly how I would describe my experience. It was jarring one way or the other with the sudden change in engine speed. It eventually fell right off. I bunny-hopped around a car park to have a friend diagnose the problem as the clunk was the only thing I was sure about - the increased noise the problem caused I tend to think is in my head.

Reply to
Tom Hawley

I have a v6 and have had the same problem - or very similar. On seeing your post I jacked up my vehicle - the whole exhaust sytem seems to be firmly intact. Nothing seems about to fall off.

So the mystery remains - assuming my and Anvil's problems are the same. But it was nice to have a possibility to check out.

The vehicel was in for service a few days ago and I did not mention the problem but it is still present.

Reply to
Ken

You're probably lucky its not that - it wasn't cheap to fix at that end. Still half as cheap as Kwik Fit originally quoted me, although once they'd had their poke around it only took another 4 miles or so to fall off so its not like they did nothing for me...

Reply to
Tom Hawley

One of the engine mounts often goes on the V6 406 - I can't remember which one though ! It's fairly cheap and easy to replace. I seem to remember the break can be pretty hard to spot !

Reply to
Nom

Thanks guys/girls (must not assume anything...) When I had the deaf mechanic from the dealership listen for the 'clunk', he did mention that they could book the car in to check the engine mounts. That's exactly what it sounds like - the noise caused by a rocking motion , subtle and consistent. The service manager naturally couldn't hear a thing....... Interesting to read the other replies. Since my car is under warranty, I'll get it looked at and let you know what is found.

Reply to
anvil