406 water in passenger footwell

Hello all,

Found today that there was alot of water in the passenger footwell of my recently purchased R plate 406. There is also a little, but nowhere near as much, in the drivers footwell too.

Has been nice and sunny for the past few days so I'm discounting rain intake, although it may rain be from earlier as I have only been using the car for work mainly and not had a passenger until today who noticed the floor!!

The 406 has air con which blows cold fine and the heaters blow warm too when set to hot. I was thinking that the water had come from the heater matrix but checked the coolant level and all the level seemed ok.

Any tips thoughts or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Reply to
iangale

First of all try to taste the water. Does it taste "sweet"? If not then it shouldn't be coolant. The next most likely cause is a displaced or blocked air con condensation drain pipe. Take the side panel off the centre console on the driver's side, then the heater foot warmer pipe and check the drain tube. Post the results.

Is the water laying on top of the carpet or underneath? Or both? It could have been leaking over a long period. There is a loom on the driver's side under the carpet and if this gets wet and corrodes the connectors you will start getting all kinds of funny effects.

Reply to
nigel

Thanks for the very informative reply, I will be checking the drain pipe tomorrow. I recently fitted a new stereo to replace the factory fitted model, maybe I somehow managed to dislodge the drain pipe as it needed a good push to lock into place??

I only usually drive 15-20 miles round trip max on average, but this week have been doing 200 mile round trips as my son was in hospital 100 miles away!! For the whole journey I've been having the AC on due to the heat this week which could explain why it has produced such a large amount of water in such a short period of time.

Will update tomorrow once I check the pipe. Thanks again for the tip, no Haynes manual here so didn't even know where the pipe is located to check :)

Ian

nigel wrote:

Reply to
iangale

Reply to
iangale

You can check the pipe by taking it out of the hole in the floor and blowing through it. Then just stick your finger through the hole in the floor (there should be a grommet there, by the way!) The other possibility is that the heater casing is cracked at the bottom allowing the condensation to escape through the crack onto the carpet. Test by runnung the aircon on the coldest setting for 15 mins or so. Look for any liquid escaping from the lower casing. Best to remove both console trims. Also look underneath and make sure the condensation is going through the drain pipe. Shold make a small pool of water on the ground.

Reply to
nigel