406Turbo Diesel (overheating? )

Hi everyone, My 1.9 406 TD has recently had a replacement engine fitted. There were a number of complications with this which I won't bore you with. It appears to be overheating now The normal operating temperature on the gauge is about 80 C but when pulling up a 1 in 5 hill about 400 yards long the temperature rises to about 95 C. Is this normal? I never noticed it before. I cannot test on a longer hill as there are none around here - but I'm concerned that if I did come to a longer hill the temperature could rise dangerously. What do you think?

Whilst posting I note that the electric adjusting windows don't work anymore either - any ideas. I cannot locate any blown fuses.

Cheers

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hagley

Ron, I had a new engine fitted to my 2.1 td and that seemed to do the same, heated up on hills also. I tow with it aswell and it seemed to make it worse, however we went to Plymouth towing and the temp gauge was up and down all over the place. However it never overheated, even though the temp gauge rose up above 100 it just seems to do that. I can't comment on the car before the engine was fitted as I hardly drove it before it went pop. Hope this sheds some light on it. I don't know anything about your window problem. Barno.

Reply to
Barno

Barno

Sounds as though you have one of your cooling fans not working. At about 80 C they should come on in series both working at slow speed. Also if air con is switched on. At 90 C they should both come on at high speed. These are controlled by 3 fan relays sited behind the rad grill under a cover, check here first for dirty contacts or failed relay. The next possibility is a us fan motor, faulty wiring or faulty earth. There are two 40 an fuses in the engine bay that feed the fans one for each.

I have the same problem with my 406 1.9 D and have identified it down to the driver side fan motor or wiring. As the Haynes manual says it is necessary you remove the rad ,intercooler and air con rad to get at the fans I am leaving it to better weather. Unless someone knows another way to get the fan motors out ? Were any of these components disturbed when the engine was changed.

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Thanks for that Michael, I think that they took the rad and everything out when they changed the motor. it sounds as if the fans come on when it gets hot, but to be honest I have not looked into it any further than that. It works fine around town it only appeared to do it on very long runs so I just left it. Cheers,

Barno.

Reply to
Barno

Thanks for the information guys - I will check that out.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hagley