'93 405 electric window

Hi,

just aquired a '93 'K' Reg 405 1.8 GLi Estate.

There was a problem with the electric window on the driver's side (cable broke) and the vendor's garage fixed the window shut temporarily.

So now I have an electric window with a broken cable which seems to be held shut by some wad of plasticky stuff wrapped around the top of the electric window mechanism where it meets the bottom centre of the window.

I intend to replace the electric motor and window mechanism. Unfortunately you need to get the window down most of the way to release it from the winding mechanism.

I am contemplating reaching up inside the door with a Stanley knife to remove the stuff around the base of the window.

Just thought I would check to make sure that this isn't actually meant to be there.

What I expect to be there is a slightly angled vertical runner with a block in it which connects to the base of the window. Presumably nothing else.

What I can feel (up around the bolt which holds the top of the runner) is a large amorphous plasticky wodge - I am assuming lots of gaffer tape or similar.

So has anyone changed a RHS front electric window motor on a 405?

I think the motor assembly changed around '93 - the picture on Page 11.10 of the "Haynes Peugeot 405 Diesel 1988 to 1997" manual where the motor is seperate from the vertical riser and has wire seems to match what I have got but the picture here

to have an arm connected directly to the electric motor. Also, is it worth buying second hand from an online parts supplier?

The units come with 3 months warranty (but I would like it to last for years) and are abouit £40 delivered. New ones (on line) are about £80 delivered. Local Pug dealer said £150 {ouch}.

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts