Advice for slipping clutch on a 307?

I've got a 1.6 307 Rapier with the 1600 petrol engine.

Its approximately 14 months old (bought from new) and the clutch has just started slipping really badly, if you try to accelerate in 3rd or 4th up an incline then it just slips. This has only just started to happen but has got progressively worse within a couple of days.

The car has only done about 9,600 miles from new. It's the wifes daily transport, its not hammered and does a wide variety of travelling from short trips to the 1200 miles we racked up in one week on holiday on the french motorways. I've looked underneath and theres no sign of fluids leaking out.

Phoned up the main dealer from whom we purchased it and he told me that Peugeot only gave a 12,000 mile / 12 month warranty on the clutch, this cover was subjective and would not be honoured if the clutch (in their opinion) had been abused, this would be decided once the clutch had been removed.

They have quoted me £350 to replace it, as we just outside the 12 month warranty it looks like I'm going to have to pay it.

Is there any advice anyone can give me? Is this a common problem?, as less than 10,000 miles seems a ridiculously low milage for the clutch to expire.

Out last car was a 1.9 205 Gti, I replaced the clutch plate in it myself after 53,000 trouble free miles, the wife drove this car along the same routes in the same conditions. Maybe the older ones were just better made?

Thanks Philm

Reply to
2spooky

That's ridiculous what peugeot are saying!!! if my clutch in my 307 wen't now (car has 12 months of 3yrs warranty left) i would play holy hell with peugeot,the warranty is for 3 yrs on the car,a clutch should last a lot longer than 12 months no matter what mileage it covers.

Reply to
Ady

I think the wear of the clutch is very dependant of the driving style of a chauffeur...

Reply to
Linea Recta

Hello,

And 9,600 miles are "nothing" for a clutch !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

My 307 D Turbo - 2 years old 33,000 miles is currently residing in my local Peugeot dealership awaiting a replacement clutch and fly wheel.

I had sudden problems 2 weeks ago and had to be recovered under the assistance scheme. Before investigating the problem I was advised (warned!!) that if the problem was due to clutch wear then as the car had done over

12,000 miles it was out of warranty!! So the message is consistent at least.

After investigation it was found that a problem with the fly wheel had caused the clutch to burn out and as such the work was considered to be under warranty - whew!! I was quoted over £400 just for the labour by the way.

Now the crunch..............................

Delivery of parts was estimated as 30th December - I probably will not see my car on the road again until late in week starting Monday 5th January - nearly 4 weeks. They have only been ably to supply me with an underpowered

1.4 that is nowhere near the spec of my own vehicle. I have taken issue with Peugeot Customer Care ( a misnomer ) and got absolutely nowhere - playing merry hell with them and the dealerships does not work.

Good luck getting yours fixed.

Clive

Reply to
Clive Perry

My advice is this, first try a different dealer, some dealers make an effort to help you, probably because they have some concept of customer service, that and repeat sales. The dealer who I bought my car off seemed reluctant to fix problems, but when I went to another they adopted a completely different approach.

Secondly, it may not be the clutch that is worn out, on an old car of mine I had clutch slip due to a worn oil seal, fixing the seal fixed the problem (therefore the clutch not being at fault) it would be worth finding out what is actually causing the problem.

Hope that helps

David

Reply to
Lithick

Thanks for the tips,

The dealer had the car in this morning took the gearbox off and told me the clutch had worn out from normal wear & tear, so its up to me. This goes against all of the other cars we've had in the past 25 years or so. Unfortunately I can see no alternative at the moment other than to pay the money and tell the world my experience.

So if your looking at buying a 307 be warned that there is a likelyhood that your clutch will fail just after the warranty runs out.

The garage are charging £338.00 to replace the unit. This is going to work out at being very expensive over a 5 or 6 year ownership period.

I also believe that if there is spate of defective pressure plates or poor friction material currently in circulation then others amongst you will suffer the same fate as myself. But then peugeot would not admit that if it was the case so we'd be none the wiser.

I won't be buying (or recommending) another 307.

Phil

Reply to
2spooky

Just to update, I got the car back and they changed the clutch, the driven plate has gone blue where it has got so hot from spinning.

The new clutch really judders really badly, should I give it a week to bed in or should I take it back?

Reply to
2spooky
307 SW Rapier HDI 34K miles

I'm just adding my 2 pennorth to the thread. I'm on Clutch 4 !! First after 8K, next one did better, managed 18K ish.. third after another 8K.

Garage have been very good though...Last one they looked harder and found the flywheel was "damaged", therefore the repair was still under warranty. (And they did provide direct replacememnt for loan period - 6 weeks)

They only looked at the flywheel when I said that I would not accept driver abuse...after all, I'd managed 110K on the clutch in a 406 Estate 2.1 Diesel

Looks like Peugeot dropped a boo boo on the design for this one. Had it not been for the positive experience with the 406 estate...I'm not sure I would have considered purchasing a brand new design. Hey ho!!

chris

Reply to
chrisg

if anybody is interested... my peugeot 307, october 02 registered, is in with a slipping clutch. i have done

13,173 miles, and am also told by the garage that its 12,000 miles/12 month warranty. when i phoned peugeot customer relations they said it wasn't covered at all. sadly i have only had it since november last year, and have no idea how the previous driver drove it, so i could end up having to fork out myself, but thanks to these posts, i've at least given myself a chance by requesting they examine the flywheel properly! i'll keep you posted...
Reply to
gpenguin