air bag warning lamp

2003 307 3 Door XSi. I'm having a problem with the air bag warning lamp and also message on screen "Air Bag Fault". Seems to happen if I turn the steering wheel a little more suddenly than usual (from right to left). Any ideas? I'm thinking/hoping its an internally broken wire rather than needing to replace the ol' bag. Probably some kind of a loose electrical connection somewhere? Has anyone seen this problem before? Dan.
Reply to
tricky4000

Very common on 06 series and may apply to the 07's. The fault lies in the joint with the seat belt pretensioner connection which, in the 06's, is under each front seat. The joint has to be remade which in my local Pug dealers case meant solder instead of manky clips. Hope this helps but I am not familiar with o7's.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

So the airbag light will illuminate based on something happening (or not happening) under my seat? That's ridiculous...and believable. I'm not doubting you one bit. Soldering is something I do well...so i guess I need to put my head down on the back floor mat and take a look. Thanks for the tip. Dan

Reply to
tricky4000

You won't find anything under the seat to do with airbags. The pretensioners are on the reels and rarely give trouble. Usually it's the connections to the comm 2000 unit which is the switchgear under the wheel, or the actual Comm 2000 itself. Take the shroud off under the steering wheel and check the two outer connections on the back of the switchgear. Pull them gently. They should not come off. If all is well take off the airbag and check the connections to it (top and bottom). If they are ok, then suspect the Comm. To verify you need to read the fault codes.

Reply to
Nigel

May I ask, what is the Comm 2000?

Reply to
tricky4000

May I ask, what is the Comm 2000?

Reply to
tricky4000

That's a strange one, this 'connections under the seat' has been reported on here about six thousand times. It has been about THE most reported problem on a 406. I've never had the problem myself, has anyone else cured this one with soldering up the connections? Or is this an urban myth??

My favourite mysterious one was the faulty handbrake switch giving low brake fluid indication.. I did have that and it was the handbrake switch.

djimbo

Reply to
djimbo

As I said, it's the switchgear under your steering wheel. It has the indicator and light switch, the radio remote switch and sometimes the cruise control.

Reply to
Nigel

OK...well funny you mention that as I have been having problems with my indicators for a long time. You know the one...when you turn right and spin your wheel back round the indicator automatically turns itself on to left. Well all that switch gear inside the steering wheel has become quite loose of late and as a matter of fact, the airbag warning light only started appearing the other day when I turned my wheel sharply and I heard a small crunch inside the switch gear. I will investigate on the weekend. Dan.

Reply to
tricky4000

I had the same problem of faulty airbag warning light with my 2003 406, garage told me it was dodgy connector under drivers seat.

Reply to
terra

Definitely not an urban myth. My Peugeot dealer soldered the joints under both my front seats on successive services. The problem is apparently the crap connectors originally used. I also thought that the reports I had seen of front coil springs snapping on 406's when they were parked was an urban myth. I changed my mind on that one last month when one of mine went while parked.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Doesn't the OT have a 307? That's what I remember and the 307 does not have pre-tensioners under the seat.

Reply to
Nigel

That's why my first posting made the point that I did not know the 307 but that the '06 series had the under seat problem. Djimbo seemed to have missed that point but I responded to his open question about urban myths. Fun ain't it?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Yes I know you had it right Keith. I agree Djimbo obviously either didn't read from the beginning or thinks all cars have the connections under the seat. Not the 307 although the 407 does!!!! Future problems there?

Reply to
Nigel

So guys, is it fair to say the problem (in this case) stems from the switch gear in the steering wheel? Dan

Reply to
tricky4000

Quite possibly. I broke the rotary connector in mine when I had to take the wheel off to remove the dashboard. Don't know where I'm going to get a replacement.

If you ever have to take the wheel off, make sure to disconnect the connector both inside and on the back of the wheel, then poke the connectors back down into the column switches before yanking it off!

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

Maybe they've improved the connectors because my 406 had problems within the first 18 months. 407's have been around for a bit longer than that so I would have expected puzzled owners to be posting on here by now.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Doh(!) In my defence it's the way this NG shows up here in bits and bats.. with missing bits that show MUCH later. Sorry for the confusion.

jim.

Reply to
djimbo