Air conditioning is lazy

The climate air on my 306 1999 1.8 16v seems to very lazy. here's the scenario:

  • I get into the car on a hot day and the outside temp reading is high - say
25 degrees.
  • The inside of the car is like an oven - say 40 degrees.
  • I turn the temp dial to18 degrees and set the fan to Auto - the fan just trickles cool air out. Its probably the equiavalent fan setting of 2.

Now, I want it cold in the car and want it fast. So, I expect the fan to be on full blast until it gets close to 18 degrees in the car, then the fan can slow down to maintain the temperature.

Over the summer, I have had to use the manual fan setting, instead of Auto, because it is not urgent enough.

The only anomaly I have seen is that the outside temp gauge reads about 2 degrees too high.

Reply to
Steve Gibbs

It's the same on my Xantia, I think Citroen/Peugeot had a rethink on the A/C circuitry afer the XM. The A/C on my XM did exactly what you would expect/want. I run the fan on manual all the time because the auto setting is so unreliable. It did improve slightly after I fettled the connection onto the fan but it still doesn't do what you would expect.

Reply to
Malc

I remember reading somewhere if the gas pressure/quantity is to low then this symptom is apparent.

first port of call IMHO is a regas.. if it doesnt fix the problem, then dunno, is this a new ting? or has the car always been like it..

if its never been regassed, then that would definately be my first port of call!

Loopy

Reply to
loopy livernose

When the A/C is running is the air that it kicks out cold?

Best check with a themometer, if possible one with a digital scale, if its kicking out less than 5 degrees C then its fine. My 206GTi 180 is similar but it picks up speed afer a few moments.

Shunt

Reply to
The Shuntfield

There's your problem 1999 It will need regassing. The system needs recharging at least every three years, subject to your usage! I had a similar problem and was made very aware of lack of gas, no cooling effect.Incidentally I always found that auto seemed only to "trickle" the fan speed, never producing a full gale just a slight breeze.

Reply to
Johny H

"Johny H" wrote in news:d6akc3$bjd$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

This is correct: regassed the aircon on my 2001 306 a couple of months' ago. Did the trick.

Reply to
southpawArcher

Thanks for the comments. All responses say the same thing, so I'm hopeful. Mind you, I can't relate the cause to the symptoms. Logic doesn't work out.

BTW, the temperature coming out is approx 9-11 degrees.

Cheers all.

Reply to
Steve Gibbs

Just had the air con checked out today. They said the gas is fine. Regardless of whether the aircon is or not, the auto setting fails to have any get up an go.

Reply to
Steve Gibbs

It's all working just as it's supposed to. For some reason, the AUTO setting never raises the fan-speed enough to blow a meaningful blast of air out - my 406 is exactly the same.

However, I've found that the Auto setting does a fine job of *keeping* the current temperature. So get in the car, start the engine, and put the fan speed on max. After a few minutes when the interior has cooled down, then hit the Auto switch.

Reply to
Nom

when you have a re-gas get them to put a dye in it as well ,as 306's are prone to leaking refrigerant by the condensor pipes(AMONGEST OTHER PLACES!) .peugeot air conditioning service intervals are every 2 years all the best mark

Reply to
MARK BANKS via CarKB.com

"MARK BANKS via CarKB.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com:

Yeah, they did that.

Reply to
southpawArcher

I think you may find that the air you are blasting out on manual is warm air (not cooled by a/c) because you have not given the cooling system time to get itself warmed (cooled?) up so to speak. Try this - leave the fan on Auto; after 2-5 mins, does the speed pick up to near full and the air is cold? OK, next is harder to try - keep the interior thermostat quite high, with engine running, and let the interior temp rise; shut off the engine and leave for a minute to reset systems, then restart and select cold air & auto fan; because the system is charged, compressed, whatever, it should be able to provide cold air straight away and the fan should immediately go to high speed.

Let me know how it goes.... JB

Reply to
Joe Bloggs

My 406 exec doesn't fire up unless the temp is 20+, then the auto setting slowly picks up speed 30 secs after starting the engine and immediately blasts me with cold air. However, If its only 17 or 18 outside, it leaves me to stew in stuffy car just as you have described. Phil

Reply to
Philip Western