Air mixed in with fuel

306 1.9TD - Managed to get engine started (thanks for response to my earlier post, battery needed a charge) and I can see bubbles of air being sucked down the fuel tube from the filter to wherever it goes to next (I'm certainly not a mechanic, but like to have a go first before calling in the garage !!).

If I attempt to pull away, car will drive for about 20m before the engine stalls.

When the engine is switched off, I can hear a sucking noise for approx 10 secs from somewhere in the engine, and can see the odd bubble being pulled back through the fuel line towards the filter. I've had a good look at all the fuel pipes I can identify around the engine, none feel wet from any fuel escaping.

My initial question is, is there any obvious pipe etc I should be checking for a split or should I be checking anything a bit closer to the fuel tank. Has anyone had a similar problem with a diesel ?

Thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Mahseve

You will not see fuel escaping as it is being sucked up from the tank by the fuel pump, part of the main high pressure pump. This is why you have air entering the fuel system. You should have a manual priming pump, try pumping that when the engine is off, this is the only time you might see fuel leaking. If it is the plunger type mounted on the fuel filter, then it might be the seals on that priming pump.

Brian.

Reply to
brian

I have the same problem with a 309 diesel, my question is on the primer of the fuel pump if the seal is leaking can it be temporarily fixed by using silicone sealant and push it under the hand primer to seal it from suking in air.

Reply to
lapwing22